Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conversion

Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Conversion

Been thinking about gettin a GM barrel for my Hawken and a rock lock. ANybody know what some good options might be? I'm hopin this urge is just a flash in the pan[8D]
Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Conversion

Nolehoe

I am not sure what you areasking but converting the "rock" to a "cap gun" is pretty staight forward.The inletting in thestock for the"rock" is the same as the one for the "cap" lock so get a new/used"cap" lock and drop it in... The GM replacement barrel should also drop in place - essential... there might be some slight adjustment necessary.

Next depending on what you are proposing to shoot - get the correct twist rate.... I personally would get a 1/28 twist for both conical and sabot, but I would be giving up round balls.... The 1/48 is a happy medium for conicals and round balls and it will shoot sabots. Slow twist for PRB's only...

Hope this makes some sense...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Nolehoe

Been thinking about gettin a GM barrel for my Hawken and a rock lock. ANybody know what some good options might be? I'm hopin this urge is just a flash in the pan[8D]
The Hawkins better be a T/C. Other wise Green Mountain Barrels might not fit. They do fit some Lyman and Cabela's but if you have an off brand rifle be sure to check with Kerry at Green Mountain Barrel Company before you order. In flintlocks, all you can find are the roundball and the fast twist. I do think they had a flintlock smoothbore but would not swear to it.

You might have to trim the thimble rib a little. A Dremel tool and five minutes time is all it takes. If your Hawkins is a .50 caliber currently you need a 15/16th barrel. If it is a .54 caliber then you would need the 1" flats.

The 1-28 twist barrels will shoot conicals and sabots excellent. If you want to shoot roundball, then get a 1-70 twist barrel. They are a roundball shooting machine. Get them in as big a caliber as you can if you want to hunt with it. Remember the size of your flats. The .58 requires a 1 inch flat.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nolehoe

As Dave said it soes need to be a TC to be easy....
Old 02-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

It's a T/C .50. cap
wanting to convert to flint and would go with the 1-28 twist. sounds like a pretty straight forward conversion. figured I could get a barrel and lock and then switch it back and forth.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nolehoe

It's a T/C .50. cap
wanting to convert to flint and would go with the 1-28 twist. sounds like a pretty straight forward conversion. figured I could get a barrel and lock and then switch it back and forth.
I just bought a 21" GM Barrel from Kerry at Green Mountain for a Flintlock, 1:28 twist for $95 + $11 shipping. Cayugad had bought one and I wanted a 1:28 instead of a 1:48 twist for my TC Flintlock.
Chap
Old 02-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow Gleason - that was a steal. $95 for a 21" 1:28 barrel? Their site list the std 1:28 LRH for $212. How did you manage to swing such a deal. I'd like to get one of them.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Typical Buck

I thought that I recall reading that the TC flint lock is not interchangable with their cap lock. There may need to be some stock modification in the form of wood removal. From there I don't know if the cap lock can simply be re-installedand beswapped back and fortheasily or not.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nolehoe - I sent you an email. Get back to me.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Won't be able to read it til I get home. bout 5:30 or so

Quick Reply: Conversion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.