Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Precision Rifle Conicals?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default Precision Rifle Conicals?

Has anyone had any experience shooting Precison rifle's conical bullets? I've had good luck shooting the 410 gr. flat point Great Plains from my KRB, but I've been looking for a heavy hollow point other than the 405 Powerbelts. I've noticed Precision Rifle makes a series of hollow point conicals up to 450 gr. for the .50 caliber but can't say I've heard much, if anything, about them. Anyone got any opinions?

http://www.prbullet.com/ul50.htm
Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Precision Rifle Conicals?

Is there a particular reason you want a hollow point? The reason I ask is that a large chunk of pure lead like a 460gr No Excuse or Bull Shop will get the job done with no need for a hollow point.

That being said, I have not tried the PR conicals but have little doubt they would do a fine job on most anything you shot with them. I think they sell a sample pack that you could get and try them out to see if your gun likes them. Let us know how they work out for you.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Is there a particular reason you want a hollow point? The reason I ask is that a large chunk of pure lead like a 460gr No Excuse or Bull Shop will get the job done with no need for a hollow point.
I know the hollow point isn't needed. I've taken deer and hogs with the Great Plains 410 gr. flat point. For a flat point bullet, it makes a very nice exit wound. I like trying different things and a 450 gr hollow point hitting home should be just plain devistating to whatever it impacts.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunterman can make you up some that would probably be cheaper than the PRs -try emailing him at hunter280manATmsndotcom with a picture/description of a bullet that interests you. I've shot the 400 grain Ultimate 1 spitzer hollowpoint with good results from a couple of rifles. My Huntsman is sighted in with those (only because I bought 250 before the price went through the roof).
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

UC....Thanks for the info. I'll drop hunterman an email here in the near future.