Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzle Loader Info

Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Muzzle Loader Info

Trying to find any and all info on two muzzleloaders: Traditions Panther, and Century Arms Centurion.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Muzzle Loader Info

IIRC, the Traditions Panther was a basic plastic stockedsidelock/drum model with fixed sights anda single trigger similar tothe Traditions Deerhunter or CVA Bobcat.

The Centurion is a plastic stocked inline thatis thoughtto be a Chinese import made by Norinco. In 2002, Century had a special on these for $59 shipped to your door, although I foundone retailing for $99 now.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Prod uct_Code=575&Category_Code=BP+R

A seller'sad mentions that hethoughthis wasnickel (not SS)and usesan #11 cap.

There'smore information here:
http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/centurion-muzzle-loader-parts-20.html

Here'sone report that theCenturion was capable of shooting 4 inch groups at 100 yards (2nd post).

http://ushunting.proboards48.com/index.cgi?board=mod&action=display&thread= 4673&page=3

If the rifle is the same model as the Navy Arms Country Boy, then I doknowofone previousownerwho saidthathis was a very accurate rifle too. But I also recall a (Gun Tests?) reportthatthe modelhad a durability issue,however that may have just beenthe isolated reportof a poorly madegun (It was something about a bolt handle falling off or a similar probelm the first time a newone was testfired... it sounded unusual).

Ifound this info. byGoogling"Centurion muzzle loader".
Old 01-28-2008, 05:50 AM

The Panther I saw had a wood grain stock, and was selling for $100 in the local pawn shop. Is it a good rifle to start with or would I be wasting my money?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

It could be worth that muchbecause it hasa wood stock, but onlyif the bore is in reallygreat condition and if you're happy with the trigger and looks. There shouldn't be any rustto be found onthe gun for that price.
I wonder if someone put a Deerhunter woodstock on it?
It has a 1 in 48" twist so it's probably more ofa mid-range shooter.
You may want to put adjustable sights on it later too.
Depending on overallcondition, try to negotiate a smalldiscount with the pawn broker, maybe $80 or $90 if there's dings, dents, etc...

Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

My friend bought a Panther for his kid. It had a plastic stock as I remember. They were shooting roundball with it one afternoon and it did just fine out to 50 yards. They even took a deer with it that year. Whether they have upgraded or are still shooting that Panther, I could not say.

It is like a CVA Bobcat. And although the Bobcats type rifles are inexpensive, they normally are good shooters. If this Panther is in a Pawn Shop and they want $100.00 I would inspect the devil out of that rifle. Drop a bore light down that barrel. Check the trigger and the flow of the hammer. Make sure the hammer lines up to the nipple well. Look for rust and cracks in the stock.

Be sure and check to see if the rifle is loaded also. I discovered one loaded in a pawn shop. Needless to say the owner of the Pawn Shop was shocked. He had no idea how to unload it.