Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

21 inch GMB carbine barrel range day

Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default 21 inch GMB carbine barrel range day

Today was 2ºs with a windchill of -15 to -25 degrees, but it was not snowing. The wind was blowing out of the north, and it was COLD!!!

I wanted to shoot my 21" Green Mountain Long Range Hunter Barrel with the 1-28 twist. This is a flintlock barrel mounted in my T/C Hawkins Rifle. I swabbed between all shots with pure isopropyl alcohol. I loaded 90 grains of Goex 3f and a .430 300 grain XTP in a Harvester Crushed Rib Sabot.

I fired shot #1 and wondered why it was so far to the left. Checking the rear sight I noticed it was not centered exactly. So I centered the rear sight. I then shot #2-#5 and was more then pleased with the accuracy of the rifle so far. To then check if it was me or the sights, I adjusted my POA and fired #6 & #7. About this time, my camera battery went dead.

I then decided to try some .503 460 grain Bull Shop Conicals. I loaded 70 grains of Goex 3f without a wad. I fired three of them. And they grouped well. I would have shot more but could no longer feel my toes and fingers so I decided to call it a day and wait for better weather.

Over all I think this barrel will be a good one. With 90 grains of powder there is no recoil, but then I had on a Parka to stay warm.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 21 inch GMB carbine barrel range day

cayugad

Just can not knock those GM barrels... they all seem to shoot...

But 2 degrees with that wind chill.... i donotknow bout that...
Old 01-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

you of all people should be used to temps like that living where you do..
Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Na! it is pretty decent here today.. 10 degrees 14 to 18" of snow here in town but at the rock pit there has to be 3 or 4 feet. But the good thing the sun is out and no wind.

I really want to get out and shoot this new Z5 - but it looks like it is going to be awhile...

Dave have you ever shot NE 54 cal conicals from any your sidelocks. They are heavy 535 grains - but I can not get those 54 cal bullshops to shoot real well. I am hoping these longer NE's might work better. I know a 1/48 is suppose to like shorter bullets - but I want to give them a try...

Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I tried some of Dan's in my 1-48 twist .54 calibers and they did not do very well for some reason. Perhaps I had a bad powder charge, but they would not group. And I tried them in four different rifles.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it's doing good for a new barrel.
You may have found a barrel that's not too picky about what it likes.

I was going to shoot a CVA inline I picked up a while backin a trade, but the temps just below freezing scared me off today. Actually, the old shelter I had put over the shooting bench got destroyed in a storm this winter and I didn't want to set on a wet (frozen) seat. [:@]I did go pick up some new #11 & musket caps today, so I did get something accomplished as far as muzzleloader shooting. [8D]
Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Dominant Buck

50 yards looks like a long way out there don't it.

Its only the first time I was out with this barrel but I am very pleased so far. I kind of thought that since my other GMB LRH barrels shot the 300 grain .430 XTP so well with a strong charge, this one might be the same. So with that short barrel I guessed 100 grains and then looked at the measure that was set to 90 and figured... 3f powder.

Next time I want to try some 2f powder and a few other projectiles. Normally the cold does not bother me, but I have to admit today I was cold. I had icicles forming on the moustache and my fingers were actually starting to hurt. Wearing gloves was OK, except when swabbing and loading, so maybe when it gets warmer. I have a lot of things to try out of this rifle. It would make an excellent tree stand rifle or a stalking rifle with that short barrel...
Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Potential, Potential, Potential!!! Nice start with the new bbl. sure is pretty there, with the snow in the evergreens!! Glad you let me know about the $ of those bbls, can't wait to try my new perc. 21in bbl. should be in the next couple weeks!!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Nice shooting there Cayugad! Those .430 XTP's w/crushed rib are a bit too easy to load in my GM barrel.. The groups seem to tighten a bit with the Hornady green sabots for me. Not much room for you to tighten #2-5 there though. Good, cold, shootin'.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting Cayugad. I'd really like to see a pic of that rifle with the 21" barrel. Sounds like just the thing I could use in the thick stuff I hunt.

Quick Reply: 21 inch GMB carbine barrel range day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.