Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about slugging my bore...

Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 PM

Default Question about slugging my bore...

Decided to go ahead and slug the bore of my CVA Wolf. I picked up some egg shaped lead fishing wieghts to use. Now my question is do I drive the lead all the way through the bore from muzzle to breach or just insert it a little ways at the muzzle then back that one out and then do it again at the breach just pushing it in a little ways and then back out. Or maybe do it both ways then I will know the muzzle dia, the breach dia and then haveing pushed one all the way through I'll know if there's a tight/smaller diaspot in the middle. Then again maybe I am making this process out to be way to comlex.
If anyone has a more simplified way or advice for my current plans it will be muchappreciated.
Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about slugging my bore...

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

That is pretty much the same way I do it. I find trying to use the breech end is more difficult as there is usually a sharp edge where the breechplug mates with the rifling and makes getting a good measurement difficult. I also find that usually once the slug is started I can push it with a ramrod or longer wooden dowel. I use roundballs as I have a lot available and just flatten them a little to make them larger than the bore. You usually can tell by the feel when pushing down the barrel if there is a large difference in diameter as you go. I disagree a little with the statement that bullets should be smaller than groove diameter. I find especially with cast pistol bullets for my revolvers and automatics that the bullet about .001 larger than bore diameter shoots best.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM

lonewolf5348 Thanks for the link
Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Typical Buck

IJUST SLUG MY 38-55 WINCHESTER AND CAME UP WITH A .379 LAND TO LAND
WITH A 20:1 LEAD ALLOYI WILL USE .380 LEAD CAST BULLET
.379 WILL ALSO WORK WITH A GAS CHECK BUT A LITTLE HIGHER ON THE BHN AROUND 16