Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning question?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default Cleaning question?

Last night while cleaning my gun, I used a bowl of hot hot water and stuck the end of my barrel down in it and started from the breech end and went to cleaning the barrel. Back and forth, suck the water up push thewater out back and forth. Barrel was getting hot on the outside. After all this I started using a dry patch, up and down in and out, really polishing the barrel. Well i got to looking at the hot water that i had used and it appeared to have a waxy coating on the surface. Like there was some wax in it or something. What was this stuff? I quit using bore butter awhile back. It wasnt oil cause I sprayed some oil in the water and it looked totally different. So what is that waxy stuff?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: Cleaning question?

Would bet its bore butter leaching out of the metal pores in the barrel due to the hot water .Just another indication of bore butter contamination IMO.Let it sit for a day or so (I'm sure you oiled it w/a quality gun oil)then patch it a few times w/alchahol.Then do the hot water thing again adding some diswashing soap to the mix.See if the wax substance is less,or maybe gone altogether.If not repeat as needed.Good luck,you'll get it all eventually. hunt4me
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you really want to get it all out then do not use hot water. Use a whole pan of boiling water. Just be careful after you run it through your barrel. If you touch the barrel it will be hot. Also the boiling water heats the barrel up to such a point that it actually dries the water off the barrel because of the heat.

Use a funnel. Tom.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

I think that it's from the powder residue. There'smany different kinds of by-products left overafter burningthe powder, and some of it may be waxy and water soluble.
What kind of powder were you shooting?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot 777 in pellet form..
Old 01-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

If you've cleaned your gun really wellsince you stopped using Bore Butter, then I doubt if that's what it was.
If it was Bore Butter, then the next time that you clean it with hot water, you probably won't see it again.
If it's from the 777, then you'll see it again next time too and you'll know more about where it came from, unless it's fromburned plastic or something else that you've put into your gun barrel.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have never sleaned with hot water since I stopped using bore butter. tha only thing ever shto in my gun was some 295 grian power belts and a couple packs of 250 graink shockwaves. All have been pushed with 100 777. I will do a boiling water clean this weekend and see what it says..
Old 01-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Its hard to say what it was... it could have been old bore butter still trapped somewhere and the heat from the water released it finally. It could of been discoloration in the water from petroleum products, also. The main thing is you got it out of the barrel. Do not hesitate to hot water bath a rifle barrel. While it is the old way of doing things, it would not have worked for hundreds of years if there was a flaw in the procedure. I hot water bath my rifles still today. Although I have cleaned them both ways.... with and without water. They always seem to come out clean.