Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

casting

Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: casting

I don't think you are disagreeing so much as pointing out that it can be done. It's going to take a lot of fluxing and skimming to get it all out though, so my approach is to avoid it in the first place. Wheel weights - what are wheel weights made of - are they all the same - how dirty are they? I say AVOID themfor muzzleloaders as you really don't know what the heck you are working with...

The BEST lead alloy for full bore conicals is no alloy at all, just pure lead - IMHO. Lead with just a TINY (controlled) amount of tin will work and also will fill the mold easier.

Only the Mose bullets in the above picture have any tin at all and they were less than 1.5%.

Playing with unknowns is a great way to wind up leading a bore or have residue that looks like glitter. Use the purest lead you can find!

And, yes, I did the battery thing. Once.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

You cannot remove alloy from lead with heat. Alloy causes bullets to cast larger than lead I found this out with my 36 pistol slight alloy makes it almost imposible to load Lee bullet with pure lead the just baase just slips into chamber. Same with REAL bullet real hard to load if made from alloy. The alloy or wheel weights are great for saboted bullet though.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no doubt that pure lead is the best. I would never argue against that.

I have seen alot of so called "pure Lead" That had different things mixed in. I am not even sure how you would know if you had pure lead. I would even go so far as saying there is no such thing as pure lead. But again I could be wrong.

It is easy to clean WW. I normally flux it three times to get out all the dirt. IMO the only bad thing in WW is Zinc. When I smelt my lead I keep the temperature low, and the Zinc will float to the top. I skim it off and throw it away.

I have casted bullets from all types of alloys. It is extremely difficult to tell the difference. You can get Brinell tests all over the map with the same alloy. IMO the easiest test is to just drop it on concrete and listen for the difference. As far as shooting is concerned I have never seen any recognizable difference.

At the current prices of lead, and the fact that I can get all the WW I want for free--I will definitely keep shooting WW. Tom.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 AM

For those of you that are casting for saboted bullets, what molds are you using? How do the gas checks on most cast bullets effect a saboted load?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

with the lack of place for me to get cheap or free "pure lead" locally. I found this place online

http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Ingots_c_9-1.html

what yall think?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think compared to Midway's prices - they are not too bad http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=174735&t=11082005 . Shipping is gonna tear you up from either place. The one you linked has a sort of tricky free shipping offer if you are only buying lead.

But I think you are giving up on finding good scrap entirely too quick. Call some salvage yards in the area and see if them handle lead. Some will have it sorted by hardness and melted into ingots. See if there is an eBay seller that is close to home for you. Call up some roofing compainies and ask them what they do with the scrap lead sheathing.

http://stores.ebay.com/wallycooper-gunsmith-supplies check that guy out
Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I speak with my dad and see if he knows anyone. you think a car salvage would have some there is one just down the road from where I work.

I don't think of it as giving up easy, it is just finding options . I am not a big fan of ebay. but there is a ebay selling place one the way home.

duh. been so busy doing otherthings and having otherthings on my mind I forgot about a few places.

Some one need to slap me in the back of the head.[&:]
Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey UC, what about this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-Lead-Metal-Plate-1-inch-thick-not-ingot_W0QQitemZ110215419036QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2940 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, give this a try. Contact a few roofers in your area and ask them for some of the old led vent caps they remove when they redo a roof. A roofer in my area gave me about 35 lbs of pure lead from old roof caps.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to start looking harder here in a few weeks. I gotta shut down a store for the season here next week. I have one maybe two guys I can call, just remembered them tonite

Quick Reply: casting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.