Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

casting

Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: casting

I am in no hurry on this. I am going to go around to some of the discount stores. I have no flea markets around. you never know what I can find. it is looking like just my basic start up is not going to be that much. been looking alot on the net. I hate shipping lol
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another couple of thoughts to keep costs down. Any good used pot can be used as a lead pot. I have one of those cheap stainless mixing bowls (about 1.5 quarts) that I use to do bulk melting on a propane camp stove. A friend uses a 2 quart stainless sauce pan he talked his wife out of. I get lead from my dentist (8 to 10 pounds per year) and have gotten some from other sources from time to time. I use the stainless pot to melt it down and skim the junk out. Then I use a cheap stainless ladle (couple of bucks from Dollar General) to ladle itinto a Lee ingot mould for later casting, one ladle full is right around a pound. You could just do the casting right then if your ready and have a casting ladle.

I finally broke down and got a used Lee Production Pot (10# model) for when I cast bullets, I like the bottom pour feature and I don't need a casting ladle to use it. For scraping the pot and skimming I use a stainless teaspoon I picked up at a yard sale. I do wear fire/welding gloves when I'm working close with the lead for protection. Make sure you NEVER get any water near the lead pot, including sweat, as it will cause an explosive ejection if it drops into the molten lead. Another tool that is handy is an old wood hammer handle to use to flip the sprue plate and tap the hinge bolt to get the bullet to fall out when it wants to stay in.

Casting can be fun and can save you a fair amount of money. I prefer to do it in the spring and fall when the weather is chilly but not too cold. Last time I did some casting I moulded around 1500 bullets for my 38 in a few hours using a 2 bullet mould. Next session I plan on doing some .535 RB's and maybe some conicals If I can borrow my friends mould. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

if I find a cast iron pot it would work just fine?

Just be careful with the pot you buy. Make sure the handleis strong enough to support the extra weight of lead.

I know I need ingot molds.

Does your wife have any old cup cake or muffin pans. They make a great ingot mold.
Go to the "Cast Boolit" web site. Those guy's are real experts there. And you can pick up a good used mould for a great price. The mould is the most important part. Don't buy a cheap mould. Tom.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: corey012778

if I find a cast iron pot it would work just fine?

Just be careful with the pot you buy. Make sure the handleis strong enough to support the extra weight of lead.

I know I need ingot molds.

Does your wife have any old cup cake or muffin pans. They make a great ingot mold.
Go to the "Cast Boolit" web site. Those guy's are real experts there. And you can pick up a good used mould for a great price. The mould is the most important part. Don't buy a cheap mould. Tom.
nope don't make cup cakes or muffins at my house. (corn bread is done in a cast iron skillet ) . but I can pick some up really cheap. I got closeout store all over the place. I'll check them out later.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

what little woman?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ha ha uc,
it is hard from me to buy one just from lead. being a trained cook I pick up a good one I think what I could cook in it
Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

remember your playing with lead. do it outside for sure. i use to do it the old fashioned way but the lee production pot is faster and you end up with cleaner results pulling the lead through the bottom. once you get the lead and mould to an even temperature you will be able to crank them out. the first couple get dumped back into the pot. you will know because the bad ones are crinkled or if too hot white frosted. i usually drop the bullets into an old fluffed up towel so they dont deform. ive heard people dropping them into a bucket of water but i think that can deform them.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

. i usually drop the bullets into an old fluffed up towel so they dont deform. ive heard people dropping them into a bucket of water but i think that can deform them.
I drop em on an old shop towel folded about 3 times to give some padding.Great minds think alike.
I do it in the garage with a fan blowing behind me to direct any fumes out the open garage door.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what type of pot I am getting. I am already planning on doing it out side. since it is warm and clear all time. lol is calling for snow friday
Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Lee electric pot with the bottom pour spout.
But I do have an old cast iron potthat my uncle gave me that works great. No idea what it was intended for, but it has a flat bottom - is about 3.5" diameter at the bottom, 4" at the top andaround 2 1/2" deep (just guessing at size). It holds only a few pounds of lead and has a pour spout cast into one edge. I use it on a single burner (gas or propane) camp stove if I only want to melt 3 or 4 pounds of lead. No need for a ladle with it!

Quick Reply: casting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.