Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Calling All XTP Users

Old 01-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling All XTP Users

I took my first deer with .430 240gr in green mmp over 85gr of pyrodex p. I am going to work with other loads. but it is nice to know that you have a good goto load.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remington 700 MLS -

For deer - .240 .430 XTP, Green MMP Sabot, 209 W primer and 100gr ffg 777 (1 - 1 1/2" ave. groups)
Forlarger then deer- .452 mag, Black MMP Short, 209W and 120 of RS. (1 1/2" groups).Haven't used this combo for years, so haven't tested it with T7)

Knight Disc

250gr .452 XTP, Black MMP Short, #11 and 90gr FFg T7 (1 1/2 - 2" groups)

Savage 10II MLS

250gr .452XTP, Black MMP Short, 209W - 44gr of IMR4759SR (smokeless) (1" groups)
300gr .452 XTP, Black MMP Short, 209W - 43gr Of IMR4759SR (1" groups) or 69gr of H4198 (sub 1" groups - for the first few then the recoil gets to me - a little stiff).
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Spike

Nice to see all the xtp users. I have one sincere question though. First a confession. I am50 years old, been hunting all my life. I only have 1 serious muzzleloader season under my belt. Lifes been mainly bow and shotgun. Really love this smokepole stuff.
My question is this. I'm reading all these threads and one thing pops out. Guys are shooting 1-1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with a proven bullet that has harvested thousands of deer, correct? I can't tell you how many deer I have taken with my now 36 year old Rem. 1100 with a smoothbore slug barrel shooting Brenneke slugs. 3-4 inch groups at 50 yards with iron sights. That slug shot the best of all the brand names, so that is what I used. With guys shooting 1-1 1/2 in. groups at 100 yards with the xtpbullet, including myself, with a lethal range of say 150 yards,what more are we looking for?Seems we search for "what the gun likes", but it is never good enough.I am guilty. I have bought a box of this and a box of that. A bag of these and a bag of those. And when the smoke clears, I'm right back to my xtp's. And the heck of it is, I'll probably continue to search for "something."
I have never had so much fun though.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skopia, with all the possabilities involved its fun and interesting. As far as strickly hunting is concerned I can give you an example from this year, the neighbor to the place I bought for hunting has been helping me out here and there and so I told him he could hunt and fish my places with me, hes young with small kids and not a real good paying job, I found him a Knight Bighorn for a little over a hundred dollars and he bought it [stainless with 3X9X32 scope] I went to my cubbord and got a selection of sabots and bullets and he bought a can of 777 three days before season,knowing that a high percentage of Kights will shoot reasonably well with the original knight sabot and a 240 XTP I told him to try that first after I check which sabot it needed by pulling the breach plug and pushing several through. It shot a group of 2 inches @ 100 yards first try; we fine tuned the sights and he said not waste any more ammo. He filled all his tags the first day, he says he likes the muzzle loader better than his high power because he can hunt both seasons with it. I dought he will ever do any more fine tuning he has what he wants, but I know any good Knight or TC is capable of more than that. Its all in what you want some of us love to shoot for its own sake. Lee
Old 01-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Spike

Heck, I even like looking at the gun when it's hanging on the wall!!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

??? Why have several ML's and keep looking at adding more??? I am the only one using them.
Answer is simple- ADDICTION.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Mike I just don't see what your trying to prove with the bullet weight after you have shot it?
I am a handloader and have been for many years. I at one time was anal Iweighed each and every bullet in a box before I loaded them. I found production run bullets to run 5 gr. plus or minus and that includes the pistol bullets I have loaded.
What did the bullets weigh before shot? Unless you knowthe weigh before the shotthen the after shot weight means nothing. How would you know it didn't really retain 100% of the before weight?
Yup the shroon pictures of the bullet do tell a story as do the ones of sheded copper.

Al

Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 AM

Well Fellers Got the first batch of bullets in yesterday can't waite to hit the range to start running them threw the mill.

.552 240gr XTP MAG
.430300gr XTP
.400 10mm 200gr XTP
forgot the .552 300gr XPT & MAG will have to place another order

THE Sierra & Speer should be here WEN.
THE Beartooth is going to be a little while they are back loged 3-4 weeks
and expecting the MMP sabots here next week also

LOTS OF RANGE REPORTS COMMING !!!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have used the .44 caliber 240 grain XTP in the black sabot in my CVA muzzleloaders since 2000. They have accounted for about 12 deer and 65 hogs. Animals were shotat ranges from 15 to over 125 yards. Only one animal got away-that was a hog thatlaid there and let out one solid blood curdling squeal until i got the gun reloaded, then took off like he was never hit.

When hit, most deer and hogs bang flopped. None went over 25 yards after being hit. Some bullets exited, some did not. A hog that pegged the 350 pound scales when field dressed was shot through both shoulders and just flopped. These bullets are funny, one time they will exit and the next time when put in the same place at the same distance they will not. What is important is that they kill very well when placed with care.

Usually my powder load load is either two, 50 grain Pyrodex pellets or 100 grains of loose Pyrodex.