Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet damage when loading

Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 AM

Default RE: Bullet damage when loading

Don't have the setup to make them. Probable shoot only 20 shots a year. Still haven't settled on a bullet for my Omega but I like this one. If I get where I am shootining a lot,probably won't shoot these too $$$
Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why are you using 2 sabots Dead Center comes with the orange sabot the picture shows the orange sabotinside a black sabot.

I shoot the 240gr Dead center in my Knight. If I am getting any bullet damage It is not effecting my accuracy they shoot real good groups.
Mine load real easy in my gun don't usually use a short starter.does yours load hard in your gun
Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 AM

They don't load real hard. Not as easy as powerbelts but not as hard as Shockwave or Barnes. These are Duplex Dead Center .357 , 175 gr bullet.
full description here www.prbullet.com
Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stretch56

Why are you using 2 sabots Dead Center comes with the orange sabot the picture shows the orange sabotinside a black sabot.

I shoot the 240gr Dead center in my Knight. If I am getting any bullet damage It is not effecting my accuracy they shoot real good groups.
Mine load real easy in my gun don't usually use a short starter.does yours load hard in your gun
Because the 240gr is .40 cal and the 175gr is .357 cal, so they duplex sabot the bullet to shoot in a .50cal. Works just fine.

I find this thread interesting. I used to shoot the Duplex 195s, but when I got my Omega I also got a Super Rat and started loading with that instead of the nylon pushers that the DC bullets are mailed with...after all, PR was recommending the RAT! I got disappointing accuracy and went to the 200SW. Now I'm wanting to test if this is the reason.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 AM

I need to fix/check the bullet damage problem (I have some ideas) and retest for accuracy. I get decent about 3"-4" goups @150yrds with good conditions. I have shot some 2" groups at 150but only sometimes. I need to shoot more to have enough data to make a decision. The weather needs to cooperate. I have some 195 also but I have more 175, also 200 and 250 shockwave.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

I know they are suppose to work and probably do most of the time, but to me duplexing a sabot really could lead to problems. Just shedding one sabot can be a problems at times when you start adding in all the varibles that exist when we are shooting or hunting. It takes so little contact with a sabot to really move a bullet off course - but when you have to shed two I am thinking you are compounding the problem.... there is a certain amount of cohesion amoung parts no matter what you do... well anyway hope it all works out for you...
Old 01-10-2008, 01:57 PM

I had the same concerns about a doulble sabot -So far so good - decent groups - great trajectory - shot 4 does this year with this combo. Got pass through's on all shots (80-120yrd ranges). All double lung but good blood trails exept one heart shot. I'd like better bullet performance - deer ran 100-200 yrds but it is a muzzleloader and not a high power rifles. I am still not sold on this bullet/sabot combo but it works untill I can find something better.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same concerns about double-sabotting but I will tell you I don't now. I shot the 195gr DC duplex sabot for two hunting seasons. It shot MOA out to 300 yards and I didn't have any issue with flyers. I killed a lot of deer with that bullet and never had a problem with any shot going where it was not supposed to. However it works, it works!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:38 PM

You can't eat that!!! 3" at 300 yds is a great group from any rifle blackpowder or centerfire. I can get 1" @ 100 but I have never been able to get the 3" @ 300 yds. Thats great shooting.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

Here are some commnets from spaniel in another thread...

I initially tried every single weight of Dead Center bullet with it, and the 200 and 250 SWs. The DC bullets are nice but I could not push them over 1800 fps before they lost accuracy (I know a lot of people with this issue, must be the soft lead). The BC of the 200SW is a little lower but is more than made up for by pushing it to 2100fps.
Here he discusses the soft lead issue also....

Quick Reply: Bullet damage when loading

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.