Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally connected with the ML

Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally connected with the ML

Well, after a long drought this year, I finally managed to connect last Friday.

Went out early in the am, spooking deer right and left because the moon was so bright and it was really still and quiet. I was sitting on the ground against a large berm with a lot of open grassy land to my right and left, and some shrubs in front of me. Just after it got light, a buck starts making his way towards me. I get ready, look through my scope, and it's all blurry! To make a long story short, the buck presented a nice broadside shot, but I couldn't shoot because I couldn't see through the scope. After the buck walks away into the brush, I check my scope and find out that the eyepiece lens had somehow come unscrewed so far that it was making everything blurry. Never happened to me before.

About 20 minutes later, a doe comes from the same direction. Gives me a quartering-to shot, I brace with my shooting sling, aim, squeeze the trigger........ and pop!(not BOOM). The first misfire I've ever had. It seemed like a bad primer, because everything else was okay. Anyways, I put a new primer in, and the doe is still there. It had gone into some brambles, and all I could see was the neck and head, so I aimed at the middle of the neck and fired.

Reloaded, walked up and she was lying there still moving, so I put a second shot through the vitals just to be sure (I've been jinxed so many times this year that I wasn't taking any chances). Turns out I made a good shot on the neck, and the second shot wasn't necessary. It was a nice 1.5 or 2.5 year old doe - probably 120 - 130 pounds live weight. I've already processed the meat, and it's good eating!

Unfortuantely, I didn't get a picture of the deer, but I did get a picture of the recovered bullet, which I know some of you are interested in. Both neck and coup de grace shots were with this load:

.45 cal in-line CVA
200 grain XTP
80 grains loose 777
MMP sabot
Federal primer

The neck shot was a complete pass-through of course (range was 102 paces- about 100 yards). The finishing shot was from a range of about 5 yards and angled through the chest cavity. The bullet did pass completely through the deer, exiting the rib cage, but did not exit the hide - I found it lodged under the hide on the far side. Exit hole through the rib cage was huge - larger than a golf ball.

Unfortunately, as you can see, the core did separate from the jacket, but to give credit to the folks at Hornady, it DID fully penetrate the deer and the core was still sitting inside the copper jacket when I found it - it was just loose and fell out when I grabbed it. Sorry for the long post - I just know some of you have questions, and I wanted to answer them all right away. Thanks to you all for all the good advice I've gotten from this forum!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Finally connected with the ML

oldsmellhound

Congrats on the harvest and an excellent write up.

That is the first 10mm 200 grain XTP that I know that has come apart. I am disappointed in that as I thought they would stay together. Several people have indicated they have used them with great success.

I have shot them a lot at targets and ground squirrels, but have yet to use them to harvest a big game animal.

Wish we still had some hunting season left here but it is all over - til turkey season in April...
Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,

Thanks for the reply. This is the first 10mm 200 grainer that I've recovered - all others have been complete pass-throughs. I think the extreme close range (5 yards) and the angle of the shot may have contributed to it coming apart. I'm not too disappointed, though - I've actually been very happy with this bullet and will continue to use it. If I was hunting something larger than deer, though (black bear, elk, etc.) I might think twice about using it.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Good story and good shooting!
Congrats on the nice doe

Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations on the deer,all that I have use were passthroughs,I dont know why but bullets use at extreme close range seem to act different. Lee
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on the deer... way to go.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

I am not surprised at all about the XTP preforming like that. what i am surprised about is that you've actually had pass throughs before!!!! I have 2 XTP bullets and 1 shockwave bullet that I had recovered from deer and they look identical to the one you had posted! 1 shot using an XTP was broadside at 35 yards and the other using an XTP was about 50 yards broadside, not 1 pass through. Then last year I shot a doe using a shockwave at 60 yards quartering away and it also did not pass through.. That's why I gave up on Hornady bullets all together.... If you would like I could post some pics! I guess it doesn't matter much if your shot placement is right where you want it to be.......

The 2 shot with XTPs I was shooting 100 grains of pyrodex pellets. The doe was shot using 130 grains of pyrodex pellets.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the deer. Thanks on the bullet performance info.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
I'd guess the close range shot didn't pass through because the bullet started to expand sooner with the higher velocity from being so close. It killed the deer, and that'swhat really matters.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on your doe