Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Realistic Range

Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Realistic Range

In my mind the biggest problem with long shots from a muzzleloader (200+)is not the ability of the bullet to kill but the potential for the target to move. Between the concentration required to make shots at long range, the delay in trigger pull, the relatively slow speed of a MZ bullet it is easy for too much timeto elapse between the brain's decision to fire and the bullet's arrival on target. One step forward by the animal, even a weight shift, and a deer sized animalcan move 6-12 inches. To me, that is the ethical dilemna.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my mind the biggest problem with long shots from a muzzleloader (200+)is not the ability of the bullet to kill but the potential for the target to move. Between the concentration required to make shots at long range, the delay in trigger pull, the relatively slow speed of a MZ bullet it is easy for too much timeto elapse between the brain's decision to fire and the bullet's arrival on target. One step forward by the animal, even a weight shift, and a deer sized animalcan move 6-12 inches. To me, that is the ethical dilemna.
Agree.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Zugunruhe

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f32/338-yards-25320/

Knowing your gun and load can get you out quite a ways, also interesting to note that he was still getting pass thru's at those ranges with the 200gr. SW.
That was me. There's a lot that goes into dependably making those shots. It starts an accurate gun and an accurate load. My gun is bedded and pillared. 200SW and 110gr 777 isn't the most powerful load out there, but it is best balance of flat shooting and accuracy in my gun so that's what I use.

I'm actually not a big fan of the BDC reticles and such. You give up a lot of precision when you start holding over or depending on reticle marks that are not specifically set for you gun. And if the deer is 270 yds, exactly where between marks do you hold? That's why I shoot a tactical-style scope so I can always go the exact number of clicks for the range and hold DEAD ON to where I want the bullet to go. That's as precise as it gets.

You should only need roughly 2X for every 100 yds. I have a 3.5-10X on my gun and the deer was plenty big at 338 yds on 10X.

You need to practice until everything is second nature. I have a drop chart taped to my gun but in all the shooting I did that day, 4 deer in 20 minutes, I never once thought to look at it. The drops and wind were second nature after all the practice.

The position is also important, I only shoot over 100 yds if I'm on a bipod and only over 150 yds if I'm prone on the bipod.

The shooter has to have the skills and trigger control to reliably take those shots too. I shot competitively in college and so by putting reasonably light pulls on my triggers I have no problem making good shots when I need to.

As for time-of-flight, a deer can ALWAYS move faster than you can predict. The last deer I made a bad shot on, which has been about 7 years, was a buck at only 40 yds. The sight picture looked good when the gun went off, but somehow he managed to spin 90 degrees and take the bullet in the back leg before the round got there, leading to a long tracking job. I'm much pickier about longer shots, the deer can't be nervous or ready to move. But the possibility is there at any range, they are not static targets.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 PM

i keep most of my shots under 80 yards where i hunt its due to the area. i use open sights and to date every deer i shot at i recovred with my sidelocks
Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first shot from a MZ is basically the same as a 45-70 load if you load your rifle properly. And you know how far the Buffalo hunter's shot the 45-70!!

The problem is not the capability of the rifle. It is the ethics of the hunter, and the shooting ability of the hunter. Long range hunting is alot of fun, but you have to put in your trigger time at the range.

Ethics comes in to play when you consider time of flight. Remember when you shoot a bullet around 1600-2000 fps-the sound get's there way before the bullet gets there. when I shoot my 45-70 at chunk rock at 400 yards, it is amazing how long it takes to hear the bullet impact the rock. I can lift my head off the stock, take a breath, then watch the smoke come off the rock. Tom.