Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Omega Stainless Barrel Rusting

Old 12-26-2007, 03:38 AM

Default TC Omega Stainless Barrel Rusting

I bought a TC Omega Stainless, got it all sighted in, hunted with it a few times, and now the stainless Barrel has what almost looks like surface rust on it. I have tried cleaning slovents, gun oil and nothing seems to get the Brown rust type streaks off the Barrel. Has anyone else seen any of this?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:12 AM

Default RE: TC Omega Stainless Barrel Rusting

Very common, stain"less" steel is not corrosion proof. There are many types of stainless alloys the ones used for making of barrels has to trade off some of the corrosion resistant properties in order to have strength and wear properties.Without getting into the different alloy makeups, 304, 316 etc, etc, thats about as basic as I can put it. You still must clean and treat "oil" stainless steel. Stainless justbuys you more time between cleanings.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Keep em clean! I have seen small amounts on mine after rainy damp hunts...
Old 12-26-2007, 09:46 AM

I have streaking stains on my nickel finish as well. Its not rust, I think its residue left rom cleaning solvent. Any recommendations on getting the streaks removed without removing any nickel?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM

For stainless use MEK (Methel Ethel Ketone). Itwill completely remove all surface oils, residue, light stainsetc. Wear nitrile gloves and stay away from an ignition source. Well ventilated area. Static electricity will even set it off, so be careful. Sold at hardware stores."Lightly" use a soft scotchbrite pad. On stainless if it is a brown residue when wiping it is indeed oxidation which is a form of corrosion. Not sure how MEK will react ona nickel clad coating especially if it is a cheap thin coating. For Nickel I would stick to a less aggresive solvent like Naptha.

CAUTION: MEK and Naptha will eat plastic so remove metal parts from stock etc.!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Stainless barrels= stain less. Not, will not stain or rust. You still have to clean them and oil them like a blued barrel. As said, it slows the clock, but by no means stops the clock.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:07 PM

Try rubbing it hard with some oil and a cloth. That usually takes the rust off for me after awhile.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the Reply's i would just of never expected a stainless gun Barrell to start to get this brown resdiue after only a few hunts, that is the reason i bought the stainless Muzzleloader is because i knew i would be out in the snow and cold with it, and wanted something a little better for the weather.My Blued Barrel's have stood up better to the Weather.I have a buddie that has 4 stainless Guns and he has not had any trouble with his they still look brand new.