Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Roundballs

Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Roundballs

I have 54cal Renegade that I shoot 100gr FFG and a .530 roundball out of. I also have a 58cal that I shoot 120gr FFg and a .570 roundball out of. My question is, what can I expect when I hit a deer (assuming correct placement). How soon should it drop? Will it make a good blood trail if it runs? Im not really sure what to expect when I shoot something with a roundball. I know that the 58cal should put them down real quick. What about the 54cal? I have no doubt in the roundball just wondering what to expect.

Thanks for your answers
Kirk
Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Roundballs

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

I have 54cal Renegade that I shoot 100gr FFG and a .530 roundball out of. I also have a 58cal that I shoot 120gr FFg and a .570 roundball out of. My question is, what can I expect when I hit a deer (assuming correct placement). How soon should it drop? Will it make a good blood trail if it runs? Im not really sure what to expect when I shoot something with a roundball. I know that the 58cal should put them down real quick. What about the 54cal? I have no doubt in the roundball just wondering what to expect.

Thanks for your answers
Kirk
It will probably drop in its tracks or run only a very short distance. Those are powerful loads, and you will get a good blood trail from the pass through.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sharp...It really depends upon where you hit them...I guess I have killed 300 deer, most hit with center lung shots...I can't tell much difference on how far a deer runs whether I shoot it with a broadhead, .243 or my .54...Lung shot deer tend to run 30-75 yards or so...Blood trail depends upon full penetration of the projectile, where it exits and how high up in the body cavity the hit is...

My normal load with my .54 is 80grs FFF and a patched ball...Deer seldom make it more than 75 yards...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Should get good blood and a short run with a broadside lung hit...
Old 12-24-2007, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

If you hit em right with either the .54 or .58 under say 100/125 they aren't going far. Roundballs are fantastic projectiles for deer; 230/280 grains of pure lead work quite well and those are pretty big holes to start with. I would stay away from the neck of larger deer with the .54 at the longer ranges. That .58 will drop em quick.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a big RB fan, but I've never liked the idea of using them beyond about 75 yards. They just don't keep their speed and energy up very well at longer distances. With either of the loads you're talking about, I wouldn't have a worry in the world with deer because I consider them more like elk or moose loads. On deer, I'd probably try my best to get an angle to take out the lungs and a shoulder, just to givethe ballsome work to do and put the deer down right there.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are some interesting points here, I have used both over an extended period of time, if you chronegraph both you will fine that the 54 will be quite a bit faster and flatter shooting than the 58 and that if you load it heavy enough to get over 2000 FPS it will generally drop a whitetail on the spot with a good heart lung hit [right on the back edge of the shoulder a couple inches behind the bone and 2 to 4 inchesabove the heart has done well for me of course if you dont hit them in the right place it wont make any differance what you are shooting; as for the 58 I eventually sold mine the 54 was so much flatter shooting and dropped them on the spot much more often, both of mine had the 1-66 twist and it work ok but the 58 ball was much heavier and the recoil and the twist controled how much you could get out of it, I have come to believe that for PRB the 54 is the best there is. Lee
Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

a
Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be hunting elk and mule deer with the 58cal and antelope with the 54cal next year. I have no doubt my 58cal will drop and elk. I am really excited. Thanks for the info. Just wondering what to expect.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well...it wasn't her first ML deer, because she has taken several with an in-line, but here's a picture of my wife's first Flintlockdeer taken on 12/28/07using aT/C Pennsylvania hunter carbine with 75 gr. of FFG pushing a .490 RB with a .015 patch. She hit the deer right behind the right shoulder and the ball exited the tail end of the ribcage just ahead of the diaphram on the opposite side. The deer went about 85-90 yds. and expired leaving a "decent" blood trail most of the way.....BPS

Quick Reply: Roundballs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.