Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Idaho Elk - p3 -Recoverd Bullet

Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Idaho Elk - part 3

Don't ya just love those motorized mules
Old 12-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idaho Elk - p3 -Recoverd Bullet

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Meat packer called today and said he had recovered my bullet, of course I said "are you sure it was a pass through!" He said it had passed through the body but had lodged itself in the Humerous bone of theleft front leg...

Well here is... This is/was a Nosler .458 Partition Protected Point. It was shot through an elk at 176 yards, it did not hit a bone on the way in but did pass squarely through a rib on the left out then into the upper leg bone.

Expanded to .780
Weight: 294 grain

The animal managed to turn 180 degrees and fell at the shot spot. None of this did I get to see - smoke... Wish I had one of those movie camera guys with me...

The are one STRONG bullet. Thank forthis great info on theNP--excellent expansion example--excellent example of no weight loss---excellent example of penetration. When Iask Jim Shockey4 years ago, at the Harrisburg PA outdoors show, after his presentation,why he used the Nosler Partition his response was "they are the strongest bullet available for my style of hunting (with a ML for big deer, moose, black bear, etc)."I then asked him aboutlong range shooting, his response was "get closer" or don't take the shot. Chap Gleason

Old 12-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what those Noslers cost I thought they were paying Sabot loader and otherssome type of fee.
I'll still take the Speer Gold Dots as I have seen inpressive results with them and since they pay no fee to Sabot loader are much cheaper. I did use Noslers my self till the price just climbed to crazy hights.

Al
Old 12-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

For what those Noslers cost I thought they were paying Sabot loader and otherssome type of fee.
I'll still take the Speer Gold Dots as I have seen inpressive results with them and since they pay no fee to Sabot loader are much cheaper. I did use Noslers my self till the price just climbed to crazy hights.

Al
I know exacly what you mean about the partitions. I bought my first box of 50 at Ackley's in Westfiled PA for $9.99. I bought my next box for like $16 at Mid South, then my next box of 50 was $24, then $34 and then $42 and now $49/box of 50. I really really hate this because materials and labor could not have gone up that much because of Iraq war. I have my last box of them and will switch to the Gold Dot in my BP MLer. Chap Gleason
Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chap - Yooper

I have one box of .452/300 grain, .458/300 grain Noslers left and when they are gone I will probably make the swictch to Speers also. I shoot them all the time for practice anyway so it will not be a big switch...

Think I have 3 boxes of 260's left...

So actually I am in pretty good shape for the rest of my hunting career, provided I shoot them for hunting only....

I really wish I were some big time hunter like Shockey and Nosler would supply me with bullets... I guess that is what I get for being an OLDsmall time hunter in Moscow, Idaho
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Chap - Yooper

I have one box of .452/300 grain, .458/300 grain Noslers left and when they are gone I will probably make the swictch to Speers also. I shoot them all the time for practice anyway so it will not be a big switch...

Think I have 3 boxes of 260's left...

So actually I am in pretty good shape for the rest of my hunting career, provided I shoot them for hunting only....

I really wish I were some big time hunter like Shockey and Nosler would supply me with bullets... I guess that is what I get for being an OLDsmall time hunter in Moscow, Idaho
sabotloader, who are you kidding? As often as you shoot, 3 boxes of slugs won't last you a season of shooting paper.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used Noslers for just about every thing. Still have a short box left 120gr, 7mm bt's. I won't even load them and who ever gets the job of clearing out my room will have to do some thing with them. I also have 10 Nosler 75gr for 6mm some one gave me to try out, they too will be left when the clean out starts.

I use Serria's 55gr. soft point for the 220 Swift, Serria 85gr. HPBT for the 243, Hornaday A Max's 120gr. for the 7MM 08, Speer Mag tips 150gr. for the 308 and 300 Winny mag. Hornaday round nose 150gr. for the 30 30 and the 32 winny special.
Have .452 250gr.(?) Speer Gold Dots for the 50 Cals And my favorite ML bullet Speer 300gr. 50cal Gold Dots for the 54cal.

No I do not blieve that labor cost or any other reason caused the increase in Nosler bullets. I think it was greed and to see if people would spend that kind of money for bullets.

Al