Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What projectile would you use?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:15 PM

Default What projectile would you use?

I'm 43 and got my first deer.I somehow missed an 8 pointer,but shot a spike later in the day.I've been hunting about 4 years and had to learn everything on my own,there's more to it than going out in the woods and shooting a deer I've learned.
I used a 'Traditions Tracker' 1 in 28 twist with a Powerbelt , pushed by 2 777 pellets.The round went through both lungs and the deer ran about 75 yards with no blood trail.
What I'm looking for is opinions about what would be the best load to put in the barrel.Of course, it should be the what puts the deer down the fastest,but also something that doesn't neccesarily cost as much as the setup I used.I would like to shoot more but it's expensive to shoot what I use now.
I also wonder if there is any good idea about replacing the spring that holds the 209 primer in place,I already broke 2 of them.
Thanks
Gene

Old 12-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What projectile would you use?

Welcome to the forum it is good to have you here. Congratulations on the deer. As for the breech plug, contact Traditions and see it there is a different kind of breech plug that does not use the retainer spring. My black diamond xr also has one, and I never use strong 209 primers in it for that same reason.

As for a better bullet, first thing is accuracy. Perhaps you could in the off season get some of the different brands out there, and do some range time to see which is accurate. Look for something with a good solid construction. Some of the bullets out there are expensive. Others are much more reasonable. Get a pack of Cheap Shots from Thompson Center and see how they shoot for you. I have sure read a lot of good post about how well they bring down deer...

Good luck with your rifle. And again, congratulation on the deer.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: genoprizebull

I'm 43 and got my first deer.I somehow missed an 8 pointer,but shot a spike later in the day.I've been hunting about 4 years and had to learn everything on my own,there's more to it than going out in the woods and shooting a deer I've learned.
I used a 'Traditions Tracker' 1 in 28 twist with a Powerbelt , pushed by 2 777 pellets.The round went through both lungs and the deer ran about 75 yards with no blood trail.
What I'm looking for is opinions about what would be the best load to put in the barrel.Of course, it should be the what puts the deer down the fastest,but also something that doesn't neccesarily cost as much as the setup I used.I would like to shoot more but it's expensive to shoot what I use now.
I also wonder if there is any good idea about replacing the spring that holds the 209 primer in place,I already broke 2 of them.
Thanks
Gene

I just answered this question on this thread:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2526917

Since you mention cost, buy the Gold Dots, they are $16 for 50of them, and try a Crushed Rib sabot. Links to where you can buy them are in the above post.

Chap Gleason
Old 12-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, go out and buy a beer, $2.00 or more. Buy a soft drink or cup of coffee, $1.29 or more etc. My point is, quit being so damn cheap on the bullets you buy!!!! If a bullet costs a dollar, toughtitty, BUY IT!!! If it performs well, prevents you from losing deer or tracking them for hours, kills the game more humanely etc buy the dam n thing. Please consider all of these things before you complain about the costof a bullet. Since my ML is sighted in, I might shoot 2-4 bullets each yearto check accuracy and tweak as needed, then 1-2 bullets on deer in the field. So, a whopping6 bucks for a potential 100 pounds of meat. LET'S GET IT TOGETHER FOLKS!!!! Quit complaining and find something that works well for you. Buy some and be thankful they work as well as they do. (Off my soapbox now, thanks for letting me vent, lol). Greg
Old 12-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gt2003

Ok, go out and buy a beer, $2.00 or more. Buy a soft drink or cup of coffee, $1.29 or more etc. My point is, quit being so damn cheap on the bullets you buy!!!! If a bullet costs a dollar, toughtitty, BUY IT!!! If it performs well, prevents you from losing deer or tracking them for hours, kills the game more humanely etc buy the dam n thing. Please consider all of these things before you complain about the costof a bullet. Since my ML is sighted in, I might shoot 2-4 bullets each yearto check accuracy and tweak as needed, then 1-2 bullets on deer in the field. So, a whopping6 bucks for a potential 100 pounds of meat. LET'S GET IT TOGETHER FOLKS!!!! Quit complaining and find something that works well for you. Buy some and be thankful they work as well as they do. (Off my soapbox now, thanks for letting me vent, lol). Greg
Greg, Your correct for your situation, but people who shoot like 20x a year will need a cheaper practice bullet, I don't think they can beat a Gold Dot for practive and hunting. I think you can beat a Gold Dot for strickly hunting. Sorry I pushed your button, I was merely answering the gentleman's question. I hear ya, and I agree 100% with your logic on the best bullet to hunt with.
Chap Gleason
Old 12-22-2007, 05:36 AM

Maybe you should read the post better before you get on your soapbox Greg.With such a selection of bullets out there and my inexperience I figured I would ask "What I'm looking for is opinions about what would be the best load to put in the barrel.Of course, it should be the what puts the deer down the fastest,but also something that doesn't neccesarily cost as much as the setup I used" It's not a matter of being cheap as you said.I figured I could save money and shoot more targets'
Gene
Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, Ok, Guess I got carried away, lol! For just shooting, the XTP's are cheap and shoot very well out of my gun (but i woudn't use them on deer). I know Chap loves the gold dots and from what I can gather, they are quite economical and perform great on game. I keep hearing more and more on the ole cheap shots for targets and deer. Keep looking and shooting, you'll find something you like. Seriously, welcome to the forum. Soapboxes aside, we'll steer you in the right direction. Sorry! Take care, Greg
Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 AM

My daughter has my Tracker 209 now and it shoots great killed plenty of deer with it I used it as a brush gun for stalking and drives.

I was shooting a Hornady Great Plains 385gr Conical over 85gr of loose 2fg 777 No passthrus but they didn't go far and I got good blood I think the farthest one ever went as maybe 35 or 40 yds. but had more go down within 15yds.
It also shot the TC Maxi hunter 370gr well.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 AM

See my post 'Cheap Shot success.' Shows that you don't have to go expensive to get performance. Along with that 240gr hollow point, I usually shoot 250gr T/C shockwaves. They aren't very expensive and work great close and at long distances. My last deer with those was at a bit under 200yds, and the deer went down fast.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is hard to beat a Gold Dot or similar pistol bullet and some crushed ribs....

Quick Reply: What projectile would you use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.