Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thoughts on cleaning ML

Old 12-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Thoughts on cleaning ML

I've seen a lot of post here on cleaning MLs. Some I agree with and others I don't. Not to start a p***ing contest but I've been at this game for over 30 years even before PA started its flintlock season back in 1974.
Except for one year I've used sidelocks exclusively and my cleaning method is as follows.
1.disassemble the rifle (barrel, lock (including flint), touchhole or nipple.
2. set breech end of barrel in bucket of hot soapy water. drop in touchhole or nipple in water
3. dip bore brush in water and run through bore several times
4. swab bore with patches until clean
5. flush bore with hot water
6. run dry patches through bore followed by patches with #13 cleaner and dry patches.
7. swab bore with patch coated with bore butter.
remove touchhole or nipple, dry and lightly coat threads with anti-sieze.
8. wipe exterior surfaces with quality gun oil (barrel, tang, etc.
9 Wipe off lock with #13 and reinstall flint or nipple
10 re-assemble.

During all this time, I never had any problems with corrosion or accuracy so I have to say that this method works for me. Other methods may also work just fine but I thought I would add my 2 cents. Some ML shooters swear by bore butter, others hate it. Some just use BP solvent and petroleum products in their bores.
Sorry guys - just venting I guess.
Cayugad, I do occasionally use the mixtue of alcohol and window cleaner to clean at the range if I run out of #13 patches.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on cleaning ML

Other then the bore butter, we clean our rifles in a very similar manner. Although I have no time for that T/C #13 either.

I use my mix and scrub the back of the locks with an old toothbrush (gives me a reason to change to new ones more frequent). I then rinse it again. After that I spray the back of the locks with a light coat of gun oil. Then I take clean Q-tips and remove as much of the gun oil as I can. I just want a film back there. In the winter I spray them with silicone.

**** A word of warning... don't use her super duper batteryrechargeablepower toothbrush to clean the back of your locks of hard to get fowling, rinse it off, and them put it back in the bathroom. They claim they know you did it (this is the time to give the dumbfounded/stupid look fellers). They do not take kindly to that at all. But they sure work good at removing hard to get at areas.. And that little water pick can really clean some tight places too..