Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester Apex

Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Winchester Apex

Has anyone handled this gun before? A friend of mine is selling a new, never fired, stainless .45 for a good price. Is it worth buying? I have never heard of any reviews on this gun. Thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winchester Apex

Never owned or shot one, but if the price was right I probably would.
Here's some reviews.....
http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/48924/reviews.htm
Old 12-15-2007, 09:25 AM

cabelas has the stainless steel/camo stock Apex for $180.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 PM

I bought one last year....I have killed 2 deer with it in 2 years in NY's Muzzleloader season. For the money it is a great gun! IMHO!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

FYI, the Apex is actually andmade by the same spanish company "BPI" as the CVA Kodiak. A design approach to compete with T/C's Omega.

Given the less popular.45 caliber, I would say the overall value of the Apex is slightlyless as well.

Given that Cabela's is pushing these out the door for $189.99 retail - If the deal is exceptional,you can register the warrantyand somewhere less than $190, then I would consider it.

Need to ask yourself though, is this the ML and caliber (.45)that you really want? If so, then buy it at a great deal. There are loads for the .45, just not nearly as many as .50cal. The .45 will certainly be adequate for deer and other game in the medium category.

Tahquamenon
Old 12-17-2007, 11:33 AM

i'd say a 405 grain conical over 70 grains pyrodex would drop a buffalo @ 2-300 yards with that .45 apex
Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

i'd say a 405 grain conical over 70 grains pyrodex would drop a buffalo @ 2-300 yards with that .45 apex
I agree, although I would think that a 405gr projectile and 70gr in a .45 at a distance of2-300 yards while very lethal and perhaps even accuratewould havequite abullet drop making compensation much more than simple. Provided that the ML inquestion even would shoot that bullet with any accuracy. Have to try and find out.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 AM

[align=left]Dangerous Muzzleloadersby Randy Wakeman[/align]In my opinion,far too many people have had their lives destroyed by reportedly using cheap imported muzzleloaders as directed by manufacturer's printed instructions. There are no muzzleloading standards, and there is no governing body on the American muzzleloading scene to effect any semblance of quality control or reasonable safety testing.
There is a huge, ever increasing body of evidence that shows CVA branded guns (BPI, CVA Winchester Muzzleloading, New Frontier, etc.) can be quite dangerous with factory recommended loads.

The CVA Apollo gunhad so many personal injury claims filed against it that the "old CVA" was forced into receivership. I have seen nothing to indicate that theresub-standard proofs and poor quality control is any better now than it was then.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/dangerous_muzzleloaders.htm
Old 12-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

No argument here, not that I always agreewith Mr. Wakeman.

Which only one of many reasons why I'll never own another one (CVA/BPI that is).
Old 12-18-2007, 11:15 AM

sandman do u even know anything about the cva inline recall? It only affects inline cva's made in 1995 and 1996. BPI bought out cva and still operates under the name cva.

Toby bridges had a savage blow up on him. TC back in the 1970s had problems with American made Douglas barrels going kaboom. CVA's problem in those 2 years was due to a bad breech plug design and a shipment of rifles that had weak steel. Is CVA's inspection better now? Big time better.

Austin and Halleck is .. well was, made in spain and was considered high quality by the gun ho " buy american made products!" guys.

Wheres proof that cva, has these barrel blasters? Im not talking the 95-96 model, im talking right nows cva models.

Dont always believe what you read. Do some research on randy wakemans back ground and you'll be shocked at what you find

You can actually email him and ask what the latest cva had barrel issues and he can not and will not tell you. Ask him for a list of the cva's that did have problems and you'll get nothing but a dusty email with no info.

Quick Reply: Winchester Apex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.