Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabots or Lead Slugs(Bullets)

Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Sabots or Lead Slugs(Bullets)

My new Lyman Mustang should be here in a day or so and I will have a couple of days left of the deer season(muzzleloader)
My question for your guys is this..Have you found the plastic sleeved sabots to shoot better than the lead bullets or visaversa ? And what about cleaning out the plastic or isn't this a concern..I know some shot gun barrels get really coated with plastic...And it can be a --tch to clean it out..I have shot black powder for a long time but have not experince with the inlines or sabots..I plan on using Goex 2F powder as I have lots on hand here..Thanks for any information you have to offer....
Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sabots or Lead Slugs(Bullets)

Ther is a big differance between shooting accurately and doing well on deer.
Used with the right load [which is not always the one that shoots accurate most bulletswill do a reasonable job of taking deer when you go after elk or moose or buffalo or bear different ones are liable to be better.
Personally I like a fairly heavy load so it will shoot reasonably flat [that eliminates PB's] and for deer I want a bang flop and a reasonably priced bullet that ended up being a Gold Dot now some people will tell you the expensive bullets are better and they are for some game but how much better does it get than a bang flop? Lee
Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

My experience with my Mustang is that it will shoot almost any bullet and load "OK" (3" to 4" 100 yard groups), but will shoot tight groups (2" or less) with darn few. I've tried Great Plains conicals in 410and 385 grains,Lee R.E.A.L. bullets in 250 and 320 grain weights, and Barnes, Speer Gold Dots, Hornady XTP's, Remington .458's, and Sierra bullets in six different sabots looking for that "one hole group". Never found it. My best and most consistent load is shown on the target below.

One hole groups aside, I think you will like your Mustang. The top-lever, hammerless, sliding safety design is really nice. The Pacmayer recoil pad is great - it shoots heavy loads like a *****cat.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 AM

[blockquote]I have been waiting to hear from you my friend...Iam
not interested in a one holer,if I were then I would
have a target rifle made up...I have read where these
rifles are suppose to be good shooters with almost
any bullet and you have said so yourself...

So in you opinon what bullet would you reccomend for
deer hunting???

Have you found the plastic hard to remove from the
barrel? Mine should be here in a day or so....Thanks
for your valued reply...[8D]
[/blockquote]
Old 12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

So in you opinon what bullet would you reccomend for deer hunting???

Speer Gold Dots & Speer Gold Dots, or Speer Gold Dots. 250 grain if your hunting situation is 100 yards or less. 300 grain if you're going to be reaching out to 150/175 yards.

I have not had any problems with plastic fouling. I did clean my bore well and polish it before I shot it the first time. If you find you get plastic fouling just give the bore a blast from a spray can of carburator cleaner, followed by a patch. You will get a squeaky clean barrel.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Speer Gold Dots & Speer Gold Dots, or Speer Gold Dots.

And, I suppose, the only thing you would add to this list is - - Speer Gold Dots??

Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybe

No, I would add if you have the money to spend - then Nosler Partition .451/260 grain, Nosler Partition .451/260 grain and etc...

but the 250 Speer Gold Dot is a very close second - sorta a poorman's Nosler...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

jaybe

No, I would add if you have the money to spend - then Nosler Partition .451/260 grain, Nosler Partition .451/260 grain and etc...

but the 250 Speer Gold Dot is a very close second - sorta a poorman's Nosler...
If price is in the selection equation then the Speer Gold Dot wins hands down every time. It is about the same cost as a box of 50 XTPs, which isthe least cost bullet that a lot of people use, however XTP fragment at high speed shedding their jackets, which is NOT good for terminal performnace. So for price, performance you can't beat a Gold Dot. Now if you ignore pricethen you gotta consider, Nosler, Barnes and a few others.If penetration is the onlycriteria of selection, then Nosler,Barnes, Cast Bullets and a few others are on the selection list. If expansion is the sole factor then obvious the PB gets the gold. If ease of loading is the criteria, then the PB wins hands down. Now if
price, penetration, no fragmentation, expansion, ease of loading is the criteria, then we have a short list indeed, and I would say the Gold Dots make that shot list, with the proper MMP sabot for your bore.
Chap
Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Might I suggest a side of Speer Gold Dot with that![]