Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Diamond Barrel Float?

Old 12-10-2007, 04:44 AM
djp

Default Black Diamond Barrel Float?

Went to the range with my buddy. He shoots the Black Diamond. With the back sight raised as far as it will go, the gun still shoots 61/2 inches high at 50 yards.
The barrel floats in the stock. Is this right? Just to be sure it wan't him, I shot it with the same results. Any suggestions would be great.
Shooting 100gr. pyrodex, 250 gr. sabot
Thanks, DJP
Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Black Diamond Barrel Float?

"With the back sight raised as far as it will go, the gun still shoots 61/2 inches high at 50 yards."

It's supposed to do that. Lower the rear sight.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember i tried my Blk. Dia. using its open sights, i think it did the same or higher. Could never get them low enough in the rear. It may have came with too tall of front sight. Didn't bother T/C about as i was going to scope it anyway.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Went to the range with my buddy. He shoots the Black Diamond. With the back sight raised as far as it will go, the gun still shoots 61/2 inches high at 50 yards.
Move the rear sight in the direction you want to adjust the bullet POI. Or as they say, move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to travel. So if your shooting high, lower the rear sight. So if the rear sight is all the way to the top, the rifle should beshooting high. Have him move the sight approximately dead center on the ramp. That is where mine is set.

The barrel floats in the stock. Is this right?
Yes that is one of the reasons the black diamond is so accurate. There are no tension points on the barrel other then the two locking lugs.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 PM
djp

Thanks Guys, I will pass on the info. We were sure that you raise the back sight to lower the front end.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:13 PM

I had to go to scope on my black diamond. Its a tackdriver. Best shooting gun I own. I am 7 for 7 on deer with it and they all have died in sight if not in tracks. Best load I've found was 100 gr 777 and 240gr mag express sabot.