Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

help

Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 PM

Default help

I am looking for a good quality muzzle loader at a fair price. Any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help

ORIGINAL: camohunter1992

I am looking for a good quality muzzle loader at a fair price. Any suggestions?
Yes. Most MLer will be on sale after the season, especially at Wal-Mart, and some shops. You can get a good rifle for $300. Add a scope for $150 (Nikon Pro Staff that Sabot Loader bought), add another $100 for supplies, like bullets, cleaner, etc and your right at about $550 to $600 dollars. You can get a used gun for $300 that has a scope and a gun. One of the better places is Williams Gun Site Company:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/813usedblkpowderguns.htm

You can also find good guns in various used stuff want ads, where I live in Va there is a paper called the "Vally Trader", there are several gun in that for $300 that are great guns, most with scopes, most .50 cal, most shot very little. Chap Gleason

Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Dominant Buck

That is really a hard question for a number of reasons...

What is a fair price to you?
What State laws pertain to the style of muzzleloader?
What projectiles do you plan to shoot?
What kind of ranges are you expecting to encounter?
Are scopes legal?
Do any styles interest you more then others?
What kind of skill level do you have with muzzleloaders?
How many days a year do you intend to use it?

I am not trying to make this personal, but if all you want is to hunt five days a year and shoot out to 100 yards at deer.. a CVA Buckhorn Magnum for $99.95 will do you just fine. Actually this rifle would probably do it all for 99% of us. If you want a rifle that will be something you hand down to family, hunt and shoot a lot with, and want to really have some range time.. How about an Omega Z5. If you like Traditional challenges, a Lyman Trade Rifle might be in your future. All of them will do the job.

Some rifles I like...

Omega
Knight Rolling Block
Lyman Great Plains Rifle
Black Diamond XR
Triumph
T/C Hawkins

Others will I am sure have their own choices...
Old 12-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad hit the nail on the head. Check Cabelas website and look at the CVAs. I just bought the Wolf in camo with scope and kit for $259 and it's a great gun. I'm new to MLing and this gun has me hooked. The ramrod on it is cheap, mine is already scratched to almost bare metal, but outside of that the gun is great. My next bow will be another Parker and my next ML will probably be a CVA.