Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

KP1 is here

Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: KP1 is here

Thanks for the information that is the second reccomendation on the 460 NEX. Do you have pictures and a length measurement on them?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

All of Dan's .504 conicals from 500 grains downward in weight are under the 2X caliber limit imposed by some states.

The 445 grain UC Short might also be a good one to check out. Sorry for the blurry pics but Dan's is a family of bullet makers, not photographers. I pieced together a bunch of individual pictures to make this composite of his conicals. He actually has several other offerings now, but I think those shown remain the most commonly used ones. My guess would be that your rifle will easily load the .504 diameter but if you need .503 or even .5035 - he can very likely do either. He would probably make you up a sample order at a reasonable price.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the pictures and the length information. That was all I needed. I think I will go with the 460gn NEx.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM

Wheatley

If you want a over the powder WAD this is the ones I use

.510 A
www.trackofthewolf.com
they are $7.50 per 1000 with shipping they run about $11 per 1000
They made a Diff in my ACCURACY

Ron
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used a WAD but if it will improve the accuracy I am all for it. How well do they load being .510" diamter? I think I will order them to try since they are only $11 with shipping. What do you use for lube and how do you lube your bullets?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bull Shop's bullet come already lubed with some great stuff. Rumor has it that is made from moose snot. Works very well.

I just got off the phone with Ed Cain of Cain's Outdoor http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/item_index.asp I had suggested to Ed that he make a couple of special ramrods to replace the trash rods that Knight includes on their rifles. I provided him the design and he went to work. After several attempts, he managed to succeed after building a special holder that would allow him to turn down a portion of one end of the Delrin rods (very difficult to turn down apparently).

He emailed this morning to tell me he was successful and he had test fit the rods on both models for which I had requested rods (26" for KP1, 24.2" for KRB7 may actuallly be 24 3/16") and said they work nicely.

If anyone would like a superior ramrod for their dark rifles, Ed can provide them at 29.95 each (plus shipping). The Super Rod - Hunter model is unbeatable, IMHO.

The step-down in diameter is exaggerated in those pics and my understanding is the non-jag end will have the normal Super Rod brass fitting (except rounded for ease of insertion ).

You might want to hold off until I get mine though. I'll let you know what I think at that point, but it HAS to be better than the factory provided rod.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Bull Shop's bullet come already lubed with some great stuff. Rumor has it that is made from moose snot. Works very well.

The conicals are pre lubbed and the wads fit very nicely

Ron

Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wheatley

How well do they load being .510" diamter
The shot card loads very easily... place it on the barrel and push it down with you thumb set the bullet on top press that with you thumb and then the ram-rod... the .510 diameter keeps the card going down straight and flat.