Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Real Noobie question

Old 12-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Real Noobie question

I got an Omega I won on GB yesterday and admit to no experience about ML at all. I have read the manual and have cleaned it. I keep reading about using hot water and soap. My question is does the water mess up the sites up if you use too hot a water, and I am assuming you remove the barrel from the stock as well as the trigger assembly before you use water/soap for cleaning. Is this corrwect or can yopu do it while it is on the stock??
Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Real Noobie question

First off welcome to the forum. Its good to have to here and congratulations on your Omega.

I never cleaned an Omega, but I would simply clean it the way the manual tells me to. The water never messed up the fiber optic sights on my rifles. But then I do not leave them soaking in it. I use hot water and dish soap to clean the major fowling out of the barrel. I still use solvent patches to get the rest of any fowling the water might miss,out of the barrel. I am sure an Omega owner will tell you their secrets for cleaning. Perhaps there are special parts you have to pay attention to with that style action.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were using hot water & soap I would disassemble it as far as practical before cleaning. Hot water & soap works fine for cleaning, but I haven't used that method for many years onrifles or shotguns.
First off, the reason for HOT water is to get the metal warm so it will dry quickly. Not really sure why soap is needed or recommended as plain old water is a great PB solvent. It certainly won't hurt, but I never use it anymore.
I use cold water, or one of the commercial BP solvents (T/C # 13, or Butch's BP Bore Shine for example), or a home-made solvent like window cleaner or automotive anti-freeze & water. Plain old water seems to work fine, but some ot the other cleaners are quicker.
The reason I don't use hot water is that I have found by blowing compressed air through the bore will remove most of the moisture, then a dousing with WD-40 (WD = water displacement) and more compressed air & a few clean patches remove the WD-40. Then I can oil the bore to protect if from rust.
The main steps in cleaning are to:
#1 remove ALL trace of BP (or the BP sub powder) residue.
(I also use a bristle brush to remove any plastic or lead residue from the projectile during the process)
#2 remove any moisture step #1 may leave in the barrel.
#3 coat the metal with a rust inhibiting preservative.
Very simple and it works for me!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Spike

I don't use hot water very often on my Omega, but I have done it. The only reason I see for using a liquid soap is to break the surface tension of water, which helps it penetrate much better.

You will get burns from the water before it's anywhere near hot enough to start melting the sights.

I do not remove my stock for everyday cleaning, I remove no more than once per month to do a deep cleaning on it. I never remove the trigger assembly. I see no reason for it, the trigger assembly is cleaned when I clean the barrel and breech.

The way I do clean my Omega:
Run a swab with bore solvent on it;
Run the brush through it,
Run another swab through to get the heavy crud,
Remove the breech and soak it in solvent,
Spray some type of foaming barrel cleaner into the barrel and trigger assembly, then I let it set for about an hour or so in the tub (my wife LOVES that part...)
Hose it down with hot water out of the shower to rinse the trigger assembly, I try to keep from getting anything else wet.
Dry the trigger assembly with a rag, it doesn't need to be totally dry, just pat it down to get most of the water off.
Brush out the bore one more time, then run swabs through till they are clean, it takes 2 or 3 swabs before they are clean.
Spray it all down with WD-40, swab the barrel and dry the trigger assembly.

If you soak it, make sure to remove the stock, you will have to anyway to dry the barrel under it. Water will also get under the scope mount and the sights.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:31 AM

way over kill call TC and ask for there MZL CD
just run 4-6 patches with TC cleaner until patch is clean pull BP (breach plug) wipe clean esp threads use a bore brush(not wire)put lube on your little fingerand intothe tubeand BP reinstal BP run a seasoning patch (bore butter) thats it 5min don't need soap/water on the new inlines

after each shot run a wet patch followd by dry patch keeps it clean
Old 12-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome fella's.

Unless you plan on using your Omega for cooking breakfast, there is not much point in "seasoning" it. Afterall, it's not a cast iron frying pan.

Not real sure about #13 cleaner other than T/C seems to sell alot of it.

Dish/Laundry soap and hot water pump-flushing until the barrel is hotfollowed by alcohol patch and a dry patch. Set aside for a few to allow for the moisture to evaportate.

Lightly lube with a quality gun oil (Otis ultrabore, Clenzoil, B/C Sheath, etc)inside and out.

Remove the oil in the bore prior to shooting.

Don't need to remove the trigger assembly. Spray with a moisture displacing lube such as Birchwood Case Sheath. Wipe away excess.

M2C,

Tahquamenon
Old 12-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used boiling water to clean my Omega and a number of other guns it has never been a problem just be careful not to burn yourself. Lee
Old 12-18-2007, 03:40 PM

ive read a few complains that the hot soapy water dulled the fiber optics and they had to replace them. Other than that, i never had a problem. My sights come with a lifetime replacement anyways so, who cares if they dull

My manual in for my deer creek advises NOT to use WD-40 inside or outside the barrel. May want to check with TC first and see what they say.

You can also use a .54cal bore brush to clean out the breechplug threads inside the barrel.