Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Englander Load

Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Englander Load

I posted a thread a week ago or so about my being 4 inches high at 50 yards with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a .490 PRB. I was not able to go and re-zero it and the ML only season in IL begins tomorrow. I will be using my Omega to start with but ifI get lucky and take a buck first, I would like to try and get a doe with my New Englander. My question is this: can anyone give me a fair estimate of what drop in powder charge I would need to be about dead on at50 yards so I don't have to adjust my sights? I know there is no substitute for actaul range time but I figure maybe somebody may know the ballistics to get me close.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: NEw Englander Load

The problem is.. even dropping the powder charge a great deal will not lower the POI as much as you might think at 50 yards. If the rifle is shooting good groups, and youwant to hunt with the rifle, do so. Just remember that the rifle shoots 4" high at 50 yards. Aim accordingly. Aim for the bottom of the heart zone, with the rise in the ball it should put the hit somewhere in the lungs and still get the job done.

The problem I worry about with simply dropping the powder charge is you might also suffer in accuracy. It could really produce poor accuracy groups. Unless you can get some range time in, since you have the rifle sighted in, I would shoot what I got. If you get a chance for some range time, then try dropping the charge down to 70 grains and see what happens. Don't be surprised by the results. I have even seen rifles shoot higher with lighter powder charges. It has something to do with barrel harmonics I was told. Instead, I would adjust my POA to alter the POI until I could get some different sights, or get the ones on there adjusted the way I want.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion only but I'd stick with the Omega if you know where it shoots. I wouldn't think of hunting with a gun of any kind I wasn't sure where it was hitting.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

My opinion only but I'd stick with the Omega if you know where it shoots. I wouldn't think of hunting with a gun of any kind I wasn't sure where it was hitting.
He knows where it's hitting. 4in high @50, therefore like cayugad said, just aim 4 inches lower. Problem solved.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I will just leave it be and adjust the point of aim as suggested. 75 yards is probably the furthest I would shoot it anyway and I should be able to hold right on there.