Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

encore problems

Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default encore problems

i have an encore and love it , yet i know of 3 of the new ones that are having problems with theres , there saying that the gun will not close correctly that they have to be snapped shut hard to get them to close ,that is to the point that the hammer can be pulled back.
i keep thinking that they have taken the breach plug out and that there not getting it back in right , it that possible?
any one experiencing this kinda problem?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: encore problems

"i have an encore and love it , yet i know of 3 of the new ones that are having problems with theres , there saying that the gun will not close correctly that they have to be snapped shut hard to get them to close ,that is to the point that the hammer can be pulled back."

i personally know a lot of folks who own Encores. None of them are having any problems at all: Neither am i.

"i keep thinking that they have taken the breach plug out and that there not getting it back in right , it that possible?
any one experiencing this kinda problem?"

No one i know of. It is important to clean the barrel threads and the shoulder that the breech plug contacts: If one fails to clean the breech threadsover time, it ispossible that the plug will not fully seat.IMO: There are folks out there who fail to fully tighten the breech plug because they think it will be hard to remove after firing.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:08 AM

Could be the primer they are using too! Many are too long,causing the "hard lock up". Ron
Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

You are talking about the Pro-Hunters and 777 primers... this is no big deal. The 777 primers are a little biger than normal and due to the tight tolerences that TC has the hammer is not cocking. Although I shoot these primers in my TC without a problem, the easy fix is just to switch 209's.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: flint head

You are talking about the Pro-Hunters and 777 primers... this is no big deal. The 777 primers are a little biger than normal and due to the tight tolerences that TC has the hammer is not cocking. Although I shoot these primers in my TC without a problem, the easy fix is just to switch 209's.
I'll try a t7 primer tomorrow on a pro- hunter , i just tryed one in my encore no problems what so ever.
i will also try the remington ML primer just to see if that makes any difference.
and yeah i mic ed a t7 primer it is .oo6 longer than a remington ML primer.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Spike

I have a buddy that has a pro hunter and after about 10 shots at the range we experienced this same problem. He was using remington ML primers but the problem seemed to be the fouling in the breech area. After a cleaning it closed under normal pressure. Also there seems to be a problem with water rusting the extractor while hunting in the rain, anyone got any sugestions?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

I would say verify:
[ol][*]Breech plug is properly seated.[*]Clean the primer port in the breech plug so that the primers will fully seat.[*]Possibly change primers to one with a slightly shorter clearance. I have no trouble with either the WIN209's or the Rem Kleenbores.[/ol]

Tahquamenon
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: redline002

I. Also there seems to be a problem with water rusting the extractor while hunting in the rain, anyone got any sugestions?
Hi redline002,

The rusting extractor or other intricate componentsis common on pretty much anythingif you allow moisture to sit in the action. I've rehabbed three rusted Encore actions for the same issue.

Bottom line = make sure all components are lubricated with a quality lube prior to hunting afield. Detail clean and re-oil at the first opportunity at the end of the day if your ML get's wet or if it's been fired as the fouling draws moisture like a sponge.

Tahquamenon
Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I have the .25 acp breach plug but have not used it , because the Rem. klean bore primmers are working great and I have ""NO"" blow by at all . The last time i shot , the back of my breach plug was spotless , even after shooting 30 loads , not one speck of anything. I have never had a gun stay this clean . My Tradition pusuit shot great , but the klean bore primer were to short and i had blow by , and for some reason the 777 primers were the worst i ever shot . I had so much blow buy that after 1-15 shots i has so much crud around the breach , that my Puresuit would no longer stay closed until i took it aprt and cleaned it. I saw a thread once , where someone had measured all the primers and listed them from shortest to longest and also the coolest and hottest burning . I wish i new where i saw that .

hear is some info on primers strengh ,but does not have the lengh.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical3.html
Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cataway

ORIGINAL: flint head

I'll try a t7 primer tomorrow on a pro- hunter , i just tryed one in my encore no problems what so ever.
i will also try the remington ML primer just to see if that makes any difference.
and yeah i mic ed a t7 primer it is .oo6 longer than a remington ML primer.
we pulled a pro -hunter off the gun rack and tryed both primers, not a hint of problems and as it just so happens the guy with the bad p h just happened to walk in, he's dumbfounded as to why his is not working,thing is he and two of his Friends just bought one and there having the same problem, they have to slam there guns shut . one more little oddity is that the two screws that hold the forearm on one of the screws is just a hair longer than the other ,if there put in the right spot no problem it not than the ramrod can not be removed. why they would have two different screws is beyound me