Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

problems with my knight (updated)

Old 12-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default problems with my knight (updated)

i thought i had my problems solved. I've got a knight master hunter that i've had for about 5 years. i've never had that great of accurcy with it. i've shot the barnes red hot 250, sbt 245, shockwave 250 superglide, 777 lose, AP loose, black box pellets, red box mags. i thought that i got it all sighted in great this summer. i doubled checked it yesterday and i was all over the place. no consistacy at all. will not hold a group at 100yds. i mean that is all over the place without touching my scope. low left, high right, low right. i don't understand how or why. everything is tight, stock, scope etc. why is this happening? what should i do? my season is next weekend. i'm half tempted to get a new gun. i clean the barrel after each shot.
also the blow back fouling is horible. i get a ton of residue coming back trough the breech plug, getting under my bolt gumming it up so bad that it's hard to close and this was after just 9 shots.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default RE: problems with my knight

Did you ever try 300 grn bullets? and at what powder loads arwe you usin on loose t-7
Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 AM

Scope could be internally failing...swap out with an extra if you have one to see if you can group with another one. Other than that, I'd say you should get different bullet types, and how about some good ole pyrodex RS. Switch primers to see if that helps with blowback and check for cracks in the stock for pressure problems.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I would send the rifle back to Knight. Let them figure out the rifle.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

i thought about that but i would hope it's not the scope. it's a burris sig select with posi lock. but i guess it could be.
loose powder i was using 100gr. of 777 and AP
primers are win 777. i used to use the w209 but switched when the win777 came out. i also tried the remington cleanbores.
i leaning towards sending knight my rifle. but i'm gonna have to wait till after this weekend which is my season. i'm gonna call them on monday
Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

One other thing you might try.. get some pellets. And I know I am not a pellet person, but get some Pyrodex RS pellets. And some of the 250 grain Knight RED HOTS or the Barnes 250-300 grain Expanders. Try both two and three pellets loads, and try those bullets. Swab between shots. If the rifle has iron sights, try the sights at 50 yards. If you have a different scope handy that you know works, throw that on. While I also doubt it is the scope, while it is off, check the mounts. If none of that work, telephone Knight and arrange to send the rifle back. They will tell you basically that if the rifle does not shoot well with 100 - 150 grains of Powder and a 250-300 grain Barnes Expander, there is something wrong with the rifle. They will also tell you to remove the scope before you mail it to them....
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 2 favorite loads for mine....100gr Pyrodex and a 300 Barnes copper, the original Barnes...

90 grs Pyrodex and a T/C 250 Shockwave...

I will tell you the sabot makes a huge difference, your Knight might not like the Super Glides...

Knights are known for accuracy, I've never seen one that I couldn't get to group well....
Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 PM

remington kleanbores are nasty[:'(] i used them with my winchester bolt action .50 and they also gummed up the bolt horribly. Accuracy also was bad with them
Try pyrodex RS, winchester 777 Or CCI shotshell 209.

I dont know sabots/knights that well, but my winchester loves a 250 grain SST or a 300 grain XTP in a knight, high pressure sabot over 110 grains RS.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like to me that you might be putting to much powder in it... I only shoot 100gr of powder... Two 50gr pellets thats itNever needed more... Also I shoot the green Knight sabot and the 240gr XTP bullet... Pretty much the set up that everybody use to use before all the new high tech s!@# came out
Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

could be a scope problem
Whens the last time you changed your breech plug? A new plug might help with the blowback.
My knights did best with 80-100gr of powder.
Anyway I'd also send it back and let Knight figure it out.

Quick Reply: problems with my knight (updated)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.