Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

problems with my knight (updated)

Old 12-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: problems with my knight

Well before I blamed the equipment I would remember that some times when guns sit a while they require a really good cleaning to get the residue fron oil grease old plastic or lead out.
Try the simple thing first,use boiling water one of the good citrus soaps and a new bore brush and scrub it good.
then look at your componants is the powder or sabot old? maybe they are not so good any more.
If its a wood stock did it warp?
If it has a scope on it maybe it got banged when the barrel of a scope has been bent so vary slightly that you can not tell it it will have a massive amount of parrallax.
Lee
Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

i removed the iron sights wheni installed my scope. it's a syn stock (but it also came with a laminate stock), the master hunter is different then the average disc rifle, it has a cryo sealed barrel. all my powder is kept is a moisture controled enviroment, everything i well maintained and cleaned.
I take good care of my stuff and i know about the guns, I work in a gun shop and sell muzzleloaders all the time and my coustumers ask me for advise all the time. i can help them out no problem, i just can't figure myself out.
heck at the last buying show i was at the knight sells rep flat out told me that kinght really screwed up and let T/C kick there a*s when it came to updating there guns. the T/C rep said when i asked him "why should i shoot your gun, put down my knight and pick up a t/c?" he said "the speed breech alone is enough reason." now after shooting my triumph i understand why.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Put a Leupold shotgun/muzzleloader scope on it and see how it shoots. Gotta be a scope problem.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:04 PM

Default RE: problems with my knight (updated)

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

i thought i had my problems solved. I've got a knight master hunter that i've had for about 5 years. i've never had that great of accurcy with it. i've shot the barnes red hot 250, sbt 245, shockwave 250 superglide, 777 lose, AP loose, black box pellets, red box mags. i thought that i got it all sighted in great this summer. i doubled checked it yesterday and i was all over the place. no consistacy at all. will not hold a group at 100yds. i mean that is all over the place without touching my scope. low left, high right, low right. i don't understand how or why. everything is tight, stock, scope etc. why is this happening? what should i do? my season is next weekend. i'm half tempted to get a new gun. i clean the barrel after each shot.
also the blow back fouling is horible. i get a ton of residue coming back trough the breech plug, getting under my bolt gumming it up so bad that it's hard to close and this was after just 9 shots.
How does it load? When you push the bullet down is it snug or loose? Ml's take some pressure to load. Also 5 years is a long time. How many shots through the plug? I'd get a new one. Probably the 2 most overlooked causes of inaccuracy are loading pressure and a worn flash hole. Also do you use a bore brush? I find that helps with fouling. Are you using bore butter or oil?

i talked to knight today. this is what the guy said. I'm cleaning wrong. i clean with a solvent patch then dry patch then reload. he said i'm cleaning to much. i should only spit on a patch and that's it.
That's an opinion. I solvent patch too.

he said that a fouled barrel will shoot better then a clean one. so when i go out to hunt he said i should load up with a juck round, shoot it spit clean and reload with hunting round. that's hard for me to comprehend.
Fouled barrels do shoot better than clean ones but I refuse to hunt on a fouled barrel.

he also said something about the front scope base screw holes and the seating depth of the screws need to not be bottomed out. i don't get that either.
Some bases have too long a screw for the front hole (Weaver primarily). They have to be shortened by 1/16".The front hole is not as deep as the second hole. If the screw isbottomed out then the base could be loose.

and the last things is to help prevent the blowback i should screw in the breech plug itll finger tight (which i always did) then back it out about 1/2 to 1 turn to eleminate any headspacing that may occur on the other end witht he primer and bolt face.
sounds like alot of unnecessary stuff.
The flash hole being to large is usually the biggest culprit. I do understand the idea behind his comment but it's not neccisary.

EDIT: Forgot to add someting. Throw out the APP. That stuff is awful. It is extremely inconsistant powder.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

loading with my knight bullets was very tough. the knight ez loads were alot easier as well as the shockwave super glides.
my bases and rings are tight. i use blue locktite on the screws. the bases and rings are burris redfield style. i don't use bore butter, just light oil during storage. it's the orginal plug and i've shot probably 100rds through it.

i hate a fouled barrel as well. i real anal about keeping my guns in mint condition.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Ok. This is a tough one. What I would do is pull the scope. Remove the rear screw on the front base and see if the base moves any when you tug on it. Since your gun isn't sighted in it won't make any difference. If it's loose then remove a little off the bottom. I know you say it's tight but I've known veteran shooters who havehad loose bases. It won't take much to make sure. Scopes are always suspect so you may want to put the sights back on and see how it shoots with them if it's not the base. Other than that a new breech plug would be a good investment. Sometimes they just don't last.

If none of this works send it back to Knight.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

outdoorsman, are those sabots tight only near the muzzle or are they fairlly consistent all the way down the bore. Could be some damage to the crown or a burr very near the crown.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

tight all the way down. I'm going to pull the scope and send it back to burris, put a old scope on and see what happens.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen the same with 2 posi-lock burris scopes. Pull it off and use the open sights or another scope. If it is the scope send it to burris and ask for the same model w/o posi!!!

As far as the Knight gun, I havent seen one that won't shoot 100 - 110grs loose T7 with a 250grn sst without someaccuracy (2.5" groups seems to be worst case) I might be lucky but knock on wood it seems to work.