Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

problems with my knight (updated)

Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: problems with my knight

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I would send the rifle back to Knight. Let them figure out the rifle.
Exactly, send them the rifle with the scope and the target you shot along with a detailed letter to Knight. Borrow a gun from a friend that is shot in, if you can. Best Wishes on solving this hugeproblem. Chap Gleason
Old 12-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

yeah thanks guys. i'm calling knight on monday. i'm probably going to by a T/C triumph and sight it in on monday/tuesday and use it this weekend.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

I know that I'll catch some flack for posting this but I had a Knight that would do the same thing, even shooting iron sights. I sent it back to Knght twice and they would send it back saying that there was nothing wrong with the gun. They would send back a target with a 1" group, claiming that my rifle performed that group. I don't believe it for a second. This is MY opinion. When you buy a gun, you need to look at customer service as well and as far as I am concerned, Knight Rifles let me down. I sold that gun for next nothing to a guy in our gun club. He ordered a Green Mountain replacement barrel for it and it is a tack driver today. Why wouldn't Knight put a barrel on the gun when I owned it? Beats me but they won't get my money again. I want one of their new long range hunters so bad I can't stand it but I knop that they don't stand behind what they sell. I'd do what you said earlier. I'd get the Triumph if it's what you want and deal with Knight later. Don't let it ruin your season. I waited to late and had to borrow a gun what it happened to me. Gook luck.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

If you have ruled out the scope, there must be a problem with the gun itself... Knight muzzleloaders are usally very good shooters. I would also call them and see what they have to say.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

i talked to knight today. this is what the guy said. I'm cleaning wrong. i clean with a solvent patch then dry patch then reload. he said i'm cleaning to much. i should only spit on a patch and that's it. he said that a fouled barrel will shoot better then a clean one. so when i go out to hunt he said i should load up with a juck round, shoot it spit clean and reload with hunting round. that's hard for me to comprehend.
he also said something about the front scope base screw holes and the seating depth of the screws need to not be bottomed out. i don't get that either. and the last things is to help prevent the blowback i should screw in the breech plug itll finger tight (which i always did) then back it out about 1/2 to 1 turn to eleminate any headspacing that may occur on the other end witht he primer and bolt face.
sounds like alot of unnecessary stuff.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like abad dance to me.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I have 2 favorite loads for mine....100gr Pyrodex and a 300 Barnes copper, the original Barnes...

90 grs Pyrodex and a T/C 250 Shockwave...

I will tell you the sabot makes a huge difference, your Knight might not like the Super Glides...

Knights are known for accuracy, I've never seen one that I couldn't get to group well....
NC Hawkeye,
What sabot are you shooting with the original Barnes? Also do you know a place that sells the Barnes in boxes smaller than 50? I want to try them in my Savage, but I don't want to buy a box of 50 for $50. I need about 10 to try two groups of 5. I have read that some are using MMP12 or Crushed Rib with the original Barnes, however I though that was a .458 bullet, not a .452 or .451 bullet.
Chap Gleason

Outdoorsmen, My son has a Knight Disc Elite which is the same as the Master Hunter with a 2" shorter barrel I believe.He shoots a 300g Nosler partition HG bullet in it, with a Crushed rib sabot and 100g of loose 777. Hetook 3 bucks this year with that load, all 1 shot kills, 2 were boom flop, the other ran about 50 yards. Very accurate in his gun, 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Another friend has a Knight Disc Elite and shoots 2 777 pellets and a 300g Gold Dot, also very accurate in his gun, 1.5 to 2" groups a 100.

Now for your problems with gumming up and blow back. Switch to Jim Shockey Gold Powder because it is so much cleaner, 3F. it is not as powerful as 777, but it is very much cleaner. Also wrap white plumbers tape around your breech plug. Also go out an shoot the gun again, being careful to only use 1 powder, 1 sabot, 1 bullet, 1 primer and swab between shots to keep things consistent. Consistent in cleaning/loading practices is the key to good shooting and accuracy. Also make sure you have an excellent shooting rest and are rock solid in your shooting. Also shoot at 50 yards first to get your confidence together. It is very discouraging to shoot and not hit with a gun you thought was sighted in. We all have bad days, so maybe this was a bad day for you. Best Wishes.
Chap Gleason
Old 12-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chap...I use the sabots that come with the Barnes...I bought them in a blister pack several years ago, I believe there were 12 in the pack...I have since changed to the 250 T/C Shockwave...Funny thing, my gun didn't like the Hornady sabots, so I bought 7-8 packs of the T/Cs at the time....

Barnes still offers the 300gr Expander MZ in a 15 round pack, it's on their website...

I don't agree with the Knight rep on cleaning...I run 3 damp alcohol pathes (both sides) then a dry patch followed by an oiled patch and then a dry patch between shots...

I would try Pryodex R-S or Goex FFF and go with the Barnes 300 or a T/C Shockwave...I would also get some MMP-24s and work on the powder charge between 80-110 grains....

I do think that the sabots can make a hugh difference in groups, mine went from 3-4 inches down to 1 - 1 1/2 with just the sabot change...
Old 12-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Still sounds like a scope problem? Did you try it with the scope removed--rifle has sights?

Only time I clean with a solvent patch is at the end of shooting with my Knight--never between shots. If I'm at the range I'll run a spit patch down to break up the crud ring then a dry patch or too. Hunting I don't clean on a reload shot.

When I'm at the range I made sure that my rifle shoots about the same with a dirty or clean barrel.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: problems with my knight (updated)

Snugging up and then loosening the breech blug makes no sense to me. Can go with teflon tape on the breech plug, but I would say that with the plug loosened that would allow excessive fouling to blow back into the breech.

As far as a sqib shot to pre-foul the bore. Rubbish in my view. Some folks will swearby this tactic but for the absolute best and most consistant accuracy I always shoot from a clean bore.

Take a look at the knight FAQ's, they say the same thing to clean in-between each shot. They say not to use a dry patch, but I've always found that loading on a dry bore is much easier than a damp bore. Sabot's always seem to stick on a damp bore.
http://www.knightrifles.com/FAQs/KRProductFAQ.htm

Don't rush and the range. Take your time. What load shot the best?

I would say the Knight Redhot (barnes) should work well. Could also try the old standard Hornady 240gr XTP with the green sabot. These seem to shoot in pretty much anything for me.

Perhaps your powder is comprimised? I would try fresh powder. 777FFG or Knight suggests traditional black FFG or Pyro Select.

I'm leaning towards the breech plug seating and powder being the issue. Clean with damp not soaked patches. If you are getting too much moisture into the breech plug that could contaminate powder.

Could possibly be the scope, if in doubt then remove it and go to open sights at 25 then 50 yards.

Also make sure your are using new DISC's. I've heard that even after the first time they are fired that they begin to loose their sealing capability.

M2C,

Tahquamenon

Quick Reply: problems with my knight (updated)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.