Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA APOLLO

Old 11-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default CVA APOLLO

Can anyone tell me anything about the CVA Apollo?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: CVA APOLLO

rochelle

If my memory serves me... The Apollo is the gun that started the CVA downfall. There is a long string on barrel serial numbers that have been recalled..... it really wasn't the barrel but the breech plug that blow out. You might be able to go to the CVA site and get information about the Apollo...

Some else here will remember a lot more about the gun...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Like Sabotloader was saying, the Apollo was what put CVA into bankruptcy later to be bought up by BPI.There are certain ones that are not safe to shoot. It is a breech plug issue that is the danger as I remember also. Be sure the one you have is not one of them. Call CVA if you have to. Or I would think on line they should have a list of the ones that were recalled.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Wow, Thanks for the heads up. A friend of mine got one years ago and shot it once but never took up the sport. He let me have it for nothing but now Im not so sure.I will contact CVA.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definately contact CVA. At one time, maybe still, they would replace the barrel with an updated one. Now, they may replace the whole gun but I'm not sure about that. A friend of mine had one years ago and they sent him a replacement barrel, unfortunately the old barrel shot better than the new barrel but at least it complied with the new safety guidelines. Good luck with it and be safe.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

the apollos that have a recall will either have a 95 or 96 last two digit #'s in the serial #.