Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smoothbore shooting today

Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Smoothbore shooting today

Decided to take a day off from archery hunting deer and relax today. Got the T/C NewEnglander 12ga out and went for a walk this afternoon. No rabbits volunteered to help me test a new load [:@]so I settled for some patterning on cardboard. Used 80 grains T-7 ffg, 2 card wads, 1 cushion wad (waxed tow - I make my own), 1 3/8 oz mixed (#4-6-7 1/2) shot, and an overshot card wad. Beautiful pattern @ 30 yards with the T/C full tube!!!
I use a Mag-Spark nipple with anything other than real BP, so ignition is great every time.
Really a bit too tight for rabbit hunting, but come spring turkey season I'll know what to use!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Smoothbore shooting today

Wabi, that looks exactly like the ML that I bought a couple of months ago for $20.00. Mine is made by Investarms. Where did you get that nipple from?

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's not my gun, just a pic of the nipple . I got mine directly from Ben Hubbard.
http://www.hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com/
I have a few of them, and they work very well for igniting the substitute powders. A little slow, but then that's what makes muzzleloading interesting.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been shooting 80 grains of American Pioneer Powder 2f and 90 grains of #5 with a full choke in my T/C 12 gauge New Englander. So far I have been doing well on the Ruffed Grouse. I have been loading a over the powder card, half a fiber wad, the shot, and then two over the shot cards. It seems to pattern real well.

The old dog helped me with this one. He was kind of proud of his finding and bringing this ruffed grouse back to me. I kind of worry it might be his last. But you never know with this old rascal. He's 14 years old, but still goes for walks in the woods with me...

Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hate to think about grouse hunting. My favorite spot in years past is now a subdivision. [:@]
I really like the NewEnglander. I did replace the factory bead with a fiber-optic bead, and use a tang "ghost ring" sight for turkey hunting. Makes it easier to keep the patterns centered with a deliberate aimwhen I don't shoot the gun very often. For most shooting I never even notice the "ghost ring", the NewEnglander synthetic stock fits me well.
Looks like you have a good hunting partner there! Bet he's not spoiled, either.