Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima Pro does the deed !!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:37 PM

Default CVA Optima Pro does the deed !!

Howdy,
I just finished up My muzzleloader season with a pair of does. The 1st was at 96 yards & the second at 229 yards. I had set Myself a 200 yard limit,but the rangefinder wouldn't aquire a target & I thought that it was within My 200 yard limit. It busted it's lungs & it ran about 30 yards.
I am using the 250 grain shockwaves & 120 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. I aimed at the top of it's back on the long shot & it entered the sweet spot right behind the shoulder & exited in front of the other shoulder low in the neck.
My Son is going to give it a try in the morning.
Andy
Old 11-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Optima Pro does the deed !!

WOW!!! that is some long distance shooting you did there on that second deer. Congratulations on both deer. Sounds like a real sweet load you have there.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:56 PM

Default RE: CVA Optima Pro does the deed !!

Cayugad,
Coming from You I will take that as a compliment !! I went through about 300 shots & tried powerbelts,hornandy jhp's,buffalo bullets,round balls,& finally settled on the Shockwaves. They didn't seem to expand as much as I had hoped as the exit holes were not very large. They didn't hit any major bone to expand Them though & were both passthrough shots,so I don't know what the bullet looked like after doing it's business.
It definately paid off for Us to shoot plenty & experiment. My Son shot 1 at 175 yards during regular rifle season with it also. I think that The CVA Optima Pro is a keeper !!
Andy