Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wind drift or too much powder????

Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wind drift or too much powder????

Yep; good old kentucky windage. It's a fun game to play at the range but it's really hard to judge correctly all the time. 4" is very significant and very hard to judge.
Try telling that to those who think shooting at deer at 200+ yards with an ML is a fine idea! [:@]

Mike

Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Yep; good old kentucky windage. It's a fun game to play at the range but it's really hard to judge correctly all the time. 4" is very significant and very hard to judge.
Try telling that to those who think shooting at deer at 200+ yards with an ML is a fine idea! [:@]

Mike
Exactly!!!...The in-line is going to keep progressing into a weapon that most states should eventually remove from their muzzleloader seasons. I currently own 14 ML rifles and only three are in-line. I had four but gave one away to a very good friend as a birthday present. Ihave killed deer with all of them and each time I used one I felt like I was hunting with one of my centerfire rifles. Give me the Flintlock or the sidelock Percussion (if the weather gets crappy) and I feel like I'm huntingwith a MUZZLELOADER!!!!....BPS
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Blackpowdersmoke

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Mike
Exactly!!!...The in-line is going to keep progressing into a weapon that most states should eventually remove from their muzzleloader seasons. I currently own 14 ML rifles and only three are in-line. I had four but gave one away to a very good friend as a birthday present. Ihave killed deer with all of them and each time I used one I felt like I was hunting with one of my centerfire rifles. Give me the Flintlock or the sidelock Percussion (if the weather gets crappy) and I feel like I'm huntingwith a MUZZLELOADER!!!!....BPS
That would be true is you chose to limit your bullet selection to round balls or big conicals, but modern made sidelocks can equal the performance of any inline. A muzzleloader is a muzzleloader.

My point is that even with the performance of "modern" muzzleloader (a muzzleloader, by definition and by virtue of loading one component at a time from the muzzle, regardless of the type or quantity of said components, is not a modern firearm), they are really not a good 200+ yard weapon.

Mike
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

With my 1/28 twist flintlocks shooting saboted .45 caliber pistol bullets with 90-100 grains of powder I limit my shots to under 125 yards; and that's a long way even for a solid field rest. Where I hunt shots are more like 75 yards.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

If you really think it is the wind try this when you have time. Place small flags in the ground 5-10 ft apart all they way to your target and observe the wind patters and what way the wind is blowing. It may be calm in you location but windy half way to the target and then calm again or vice versa. I have even scene the flags blow in opposite directions when the wind starts swirling.

Basically you just have a friend watch the flags as you take aim. They tell you when the flags are not moving or as little movement as possible and you shoot when ready.

This takes some time but it is worth it, obviously it will not work on very windy days always try for a calm condition (under 10 mph if possible) where I live the wind is always blowing 10-15 MPH if not more. They are starting to put up wind farms!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't played with it anymore as deer season is in and I have it shooting great with Pyrodex R/S & a 300 gr XTP @ 100 yards. First shot with a clean barrel is always 2" high, and then it's dead-on for repeat shots.
In thinking about the problem I was having when I started this thread and the problems I had getting sighted in when I changed to Pyrodex I've decided it was probably the scope acting up. An inexpensive scope and adjustments are not repeatable. Once it "settled in" it's fine, but if I were to change elevation or windage a few clicks it may take 2 or 3 shots before it stays put. I've encountered the problem in cheap scopes before, but am so used to using better quality scopes I had not even thought about it. When season is over I will stick my Leuplod on it and see if does better, but for right now it's sighted in and staying there - so I'm not touching it!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yes I have seen others tap the scope after any adjustments are made. The military does with there combat scopes. It helps seat the cross hairs in the right location otherwise your first shot will be the one to seat the adjustments. With cheaper glass it may take a few taps or shots to get it seated.

When I mean tap I mean they really hit it with decent force but these were combat scopes I doubt it would be good to hit hunting scopes too hard.