Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Went And Done It - Flinter On The Way

Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Went And Done It - Flinter On The Way

Well rock lock guys, you're getting another member. About five minutes ago I pushed the "Submit Order" button on the Midsouth Shooters Supply website for a Lyman Great Plains .54 flintlock.

Really agonized over the 1 in 32" hunter barrel vs. the 1 in 60" round ball barrel. Ended up ordering the 1 in 60. I think I was influenced by the fun I'm having shooting the .58 Zouave with PRB's.

LET THE QUESTIONS BEGIN! Anyone have any recommendations as to what flints to use and where to get them?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Went And Done It - Flinter On The Way

Now that's funny.. I had the same sight up, selected the same rifle. And a matching 1-32 twist .50 caliber barrel for it. Was about to hit the submit button and was able to talk myself out of doing so. Glad you did not talk your self out of it. You are going to love the rifle. My friends shoot them and they are awsome to shoot.

They take a 5/8th Thomas Fuller Black English Flint. They come with a Lyman Agate which is a great stone. It will give you about 45-60 shots before you need replace it. Be sure and shoot black powder. 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 or .535 ball will work just fine with a pillow tick patch. Good luck. Glad you bought one and I did not...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks cauygad. If it comes with a flint that will last 45 shots or more that might take care of my first range session. Gottaorder some of those Fuller flints pronto. Also got to start a search for a BP source. The one shop within 20 miles that carried it no longer does.

I know why you didn't push that "Submit Order" button - a vision of a KRB kept popping into your head.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.grafs.com/index.php
I buy my goex 3F from above I just ordered 10 cans and split it with a Buddie
All orders on the Internet no matter how much you order are only $3.95 for shipping :I think no one beats them
but you will have to pay the hazmat which is $20.00
upgrade your vent liner and some black English flints from TOTW and you will be set
3F can also be used as a prime powder for the flint lock pan remember only 1/3 of powder in the pan and if you remember tap the charge away from the vent liner for faster ignition
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the poop lonewolf. All of the guys I shoot with are dedicated in-line / T-7 shooters. Looks like I'll have to put out a notice on a local hunters forum to find a BP buying buddy.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

I sent out the $$$ for mine a few days ago. I to got the .54 1:60 twist flintlock. I bought mine off a forum and paid $300 Shipped. I'd rather give forum members my $$$ than a company. This will be a fun build and one i WILL take my time on and get it right the first time.

Now back to work on the deer creek! Im polishing the barrel.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

If you decide to shoot 3f black powder, you can use that as a prime powder as well. I have 4f when I shoot on the range, but always hunt with 3f as the primer powder. Also a small powder pan flask is a real handy thing. I get my flints from Cains Outdoors. http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/catalog_index.asp I buy my powder from Graf's & Sons. http://www.grafs.com/powders/3522by the case. There are lots of shops that carry supplies for these rifles. I am still tempeted to buy one as I personally believe after the first of the year you will see the price on them sky rocket.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guy's and your 54's...I might just have to bite the bullet, so to say, and git one myself. lol I'm still working the bugs out of my .50 GPR Flinter..... I really don't know how people can shoot these things at 100 yds and be consistent with open sight.[]My max range right now is 50 yds.

As for flints I got mine from October country in bulk (Thomas Fuller Black English). I'm not sure how their prices compare to the other's previously mentioned..... Nevermind they don't have them on their web site anymore..[:@]Man, I'm glad I got a bag full of them.

They do, however have other styles of flints.

http://www.octobercountry.com/products.php

Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM

What kind of bugs are you having with your .50? I used to have hell just getting my old cva and the traditions flintlocks to go off until i bought the tom fuller flints lol. The cheaper ones are crap. Getting your priming done right makes the difference in weather you'll hit the target @ 100 yards.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also a small powder pan flask is a real handy thing.
Hey cayugad (and others). I've found two styles of pan flasks- a 4 grain one and a free flowing one.

Which one do you recommend?

Quick Reply: Went And Done It - Flinter On The Way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.