Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Went And Done It - Flinter On The Way

Old 11-22-2007, 04:29 AM

Default RE: Went And Done It - Flinter On The Way

What is it with you,...LOL...First you get the Zouave that is just like mine and now you get a GPR, like mine..Well, at least the rear sight on your .58 is different from mine....just kidding

You are gonna love the GPR, mine seems to favor hotter charges with .535 balls. I hunt/shoot with90 grs of 3F but have shot it with 110 and it still holds a great group. Dropping the charge much below 90 and the groups start to open a little.

Last time I ordered Englishflints was from here: (They had a sale and I ordered a bunch)
http://www.logcabinshop.com/
But looking at the present price I think you can do better. Your gun will use 5/8 or 3/4 flints, the smaller give a better spark for me but the large last much longer. After I hardened the frizzen and polished things up, I can easily get 40-50 shots out of a good flint befor I need to mess with it, some go longer and on occasion one will chip and go shorter.

I'd get the top pan charger, once you get it set, you can charge the pan with out looking...very useful if you need a follow up shot with the "enemy" at close quarters...

Look into "coneing" your vent liner or just get one already done from (Ithink) Mountainstate ML'g. Coneing involves hollowing out the liner by the flash pan to sort of funnel in the flash...Do not open up the little hole too much! I am much better at doing these things then explaining them.

Lastly, after a few season with my 54 GPR, I found I didn't like hunting with the gun. I'm a ground pounder and it was heavy, long, and at the end of a day it seemed a chore to lug around.-I'm a big guy but all my favorite hunting guns are little things). So, I bought a used Lyman Deerstalker bbl and fitted to the GPR action and wood, really came out nice. Now I have a 24" FLinter that walks fine and shoots good, it's a 50 but I've found I do much better with it off hand, especially at longer ranges. and I can still put the longer bbl. back on..

Doug
Old 11-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

I myself use the top picture and load the pan only depressing the plunger 2 times so it gives me 2 grains
Old 11-22-2007, 04:56 AM

Yeah, I regulated mine by filing off the spout to throw the desired charge, about half a pan in the GPR.

D
Old 11-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Also a small powder pan flask is a real handy thing.
Hey cayugad (and others). I've found two styles of pan flasks- a 4 grain one and a free flowing one.

Which one do you recommend?
I use the top one. The nose on mine is 3 grains. I think I bought it from October Country I believe it was. I push it down once and lift it, and leave it fill the outside of the pan away from the vent hole. Actually sometimes you can tap the nose against the pan and it will put powder in a little at a time. Now I know some people load up to the vent hole but I get a fuse effect when I do that. I get a very long Pfffffst Boom! When I load away from the vent, its almost instant.

It does not take a lot of powder to set mine off. And remember that, these things can go off without powder in the pan. For that reason, get a frizzen cover. It is a leather sleeve that slides over the frizzen and keeps it safe and no spark. Make a good safety feature if you have to climb a tree stand.If I have to transport the rifle, in Wisconsin all we need do is blow the powder out of the frizzen. It is then considered unloaded. But it could still go off if by some fluke, the flint was able to move along the frizzen.

Something else handy is; http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-diamond-wheel-1/BDL34 which is a diamond wheel. They fit in your Dremel tool. They come in real handy for hump back flints. Some of the flints you purchase are too fat! They have a hump in the center and it makes it hard for the jaws to grab it. With this wheel you can trim them down to fit the jaws.

The rest of it you will find is trial and error if like me, you have no one to teach you. I am sure you will find this rifle one of your favorite rifles real fast. In my Trade Rifle, I casted some .535 ball and they do fit very well. Although I get better accuracy with the .530 ball. And as said, these rifles are powder hogs. I am still experimenting with mine and have had it two years now. I am constantly learning from it.

Go to the dollar store and pick up some of them individual packets of isopropyl alcohol swab tissues. You can carry them in your pocket and use them to wipe the pan and flints off when hunting. You can swab the barrel with them but you have to be careful as they tear easy.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for all the poop guys.

Hey Doug, if your Zouave had a sight like mine I'd have to sue you for patent infringement.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:02 AM

4grains is plenty in the pan. You wantthe powder to just be below the vent. When you start to shoot flint try to keep on the front sight and not the flash of the pan. It's a little distracting when you first start to shoot. Good luck with your gun. When you take a deer with it all inline shooters loose bragging rights but be ready to hear about it until you do.
Rock Lock
Old 11-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also got to start a search for a BP source.
Couple of good ones:

http://www.rmcsports.com/

http://www.trackofthewolf.com

English Flints by Tom Fuller:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(jz0d0p554zvklz55hakpmt3w))/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=2&subID=29&styleID=83

Chap
Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well rock lock guys, you're getting another member. About five minutes ago I pushed the "Submit Order" button on the Midsouth Shooters Supply website for a Lyman Great Plains .54 flintlock.
Well Semisane...I hope you have good luck with your Lyman GPR. My wife bought me one for Xmas 6yrs. ago andupon its debut at the range (which was my backyard) I had problems with it going off. I would load the gun at the table, prime it, walk over to my shooting chair and bench it. I thoughtI was getting a little"senile" at first, but upon closer inspection I discovered that the stock was not inletted deep enough from the factory and the lock was.040-.050thousandths from butting against the barrel. In the short distance that I walked from the loadtable to the shooting bench after priming the lock...the priming powder would sift down behind the lock leaving the pan empty. It was probably just a fluke, but I took it back to the dealer and swapped it for a T/C PA Hunter in 1/66 twist and have notbeen dissapointed in that....BPS