Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

LK-93 Don't shoot no more

Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default LK-93 Don't shoot no more

This has been the year of the inaccurate rifle for me. My TC Encore (a centerfire) has been acting up something horrible.

I moved back to VA in late 2006, but was here for the blackpowder season this year. I broke out the old Knight LK-93 Wolverine, the 300gr Sabots and put a new Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 on top. I'm shooting 90 (100gr was even a worse shooter) of pyrodex powder with a RWS no 11 cap. At 75 yards, off a lead sled, my groups were a vast 6 inches center to center. Thats the best I could get it to do with what I had. I tried conical bullets, round balls, and some 240gr bullets. Whats the deal here, I seem to remember this gun shooting much better than this. Should I try and accurize this thing? How do you do that with an inline Muzzleloader like this? Should I just scrap the thing?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: LK-93 Don't shoot no more

Getit off the lead sled and try shooting it off sandbags. Some guns do not like to be shot off lead sleds.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a LK-II 93 and it shoots great with 90 grains of Goex 3f and the 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's.

I never shot off a lead sled. If this is something new you just added, as suggested, try a different rest. It sounds like you're doing everything right for accuracy. So somewhere there has to be a glich. Check the scope mounts, the bases, etc. Those Wolverines are normally a great shooting rifle... Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rings were something I considered as a potential source of error. I used removeable rings. Steel Alloy quick release rings. Helps me clean the gun without cleaning the scope too, so to speak.

The rings however, I know are capable. I have the same set on my Mossberg 835 with ironically the same scope (only camo), and if they can handle the abuse that Godawful thing dishes, then this smoke pole is nothing at all.

I've been using an RCBS reloading scale to measure out my loads. I used the powder measure to approximate 90gr of powder, then dumped it on the scale. Did that three separate times and got an average of right around 58.5gr (thats smokeless grains). I figure no matter what, that RCBS is giong to be much more accurate than any other measure, up to and including pellets. But hell even that didn't help any.

The powder has sat in the closet, sealed save being used occasionally, for the last 14 years. Think that might have something to do with it? How often should I clean this thing while test grouping it?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

If your powder is 14 years old.. that could be the problem right there. Even if it was stored in a careful manner. I would get a new pound of powder and retest the rifle. Then it will give you an idea of what to look at next.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get some fresh powder & sandbags and try it again.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:29 PM

I'll Vaccuum seal my powder that I don't intend to use within the year "or 2-4" but the powder that I open & use to me has to be used within the year or it's history.

Bud try a new batch of powder & like the others said try some sand bags instead of the slead, then you"ll know for sure about your rifles potential & you may be amazed.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:40 AM

there is a problem on some knight rifles with the front scope base screws bottoming out without being tight-most screws are too long need to be filed down.after shooting the base will move this may take a while to show up-shoots 1-2 in.group then goes too 4-5 in. group.front mounting holes are shallow.try counting turns to bottom screws then see how much screws protrude below base.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

put a different scope on it, or shoot open sights and see what it does, I've had a heck of a time with scopes on my BPs even if no one else does also try getting the 209 conversion kit for it I think it really helps
Old 11-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rjhans53

put a different scope on it, or shoot open sights and see what it does, I've had a heck of a time with scopes on my BPs even if no one else does also try getting the 209 conversion kit for it I think it really helps

Well here is the issue with that. The Nikon Pro Staff runs $145 with tax. Not a Leupold to be sure... and normally I put the best glass I can find on stuff (for obvious reasons). But this was a last minute fixer upper for me. Iron sights are out of the question, I took those off years ago, and Lord knows where they are now. Also, a different scope will run me at least another $145. That Nikon is about as cheap a scope as you will ever see me even consider. So if you factor that potential cost in... why not just get a new gun? Also the conversion kit itself runs $75, and thats if you can find the thing at the local store which is always sold out. I'd rather put $275 in an Omega or a Triumph or a barrel for the Encore.

I think I'm going to try some newer powder and some different bullets. Maybe some of those TC Power Glide loads.

Should I have a go with Triple 7? Suppose to be easier to clean up?

Quick Reply: LK-93 Don't shoot no more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.