Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Measure

Old 11-16-2007, 05:57 AM

Default Powder Measure

imwanting totry loose powder( 777 )instead of pellets
so heres my question to you in the know
when you guys measure your powder do you just
pour it in to your measuring divice and scrape the
top or do you tap it so the powder settels and then top it
off and scrape??
im thinking it would be better to tap the divice
what do you think????
Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 AM

Default RE: Powder Measure

I just fill the measure. If you get into tapping the measure be sure you always tap it the same number of times. This can change the number of grains per shot,so if you use either way see how each prints on paper and then stick with the best load for your gun. If you weigh each charge on a grain scale you will see there is a weight difference depending on how tight the granuales of powder will pack down.
Rock Lock
Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

You will find that there are a lot of different procedures, your choice of them is not near as important as doing it exactly the same every time. I have also found that powder measures very more than you would believe not only from brand to brand but sometimes two in the same brand. So it is a good idea to get out the powder scale and some 3F and find out just what your particular scale is throwing so you have a comparision if you should lose it or have to replace it. Lee
Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

scrape the top off !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

"scrape the top off !!!!!!!!!!!!"

Works for me.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

To tap or not to tap... that is the question. I think Will Shakespeare once wrote that.

I fill the powder measure and give it #1 finger tap on the side, to basically level the load. Then on the funnel measures I turn the funnel to cut the charge. On an open measure, your patch knife is pulled over the top to cut the charge.

Actually some rifles you do not have to be all that fussy. Even 5 extra grains of powder will not be the end of the world in accuracy. Other rifles through, demand a certain charge to achieve their best accuracy and you have to be a little more careful with them. It seems the traditional rifles with patch and ball are not the fussy ones for some reason.

I have a nice brass hunting measure with a sliding plastic funnel on the top. That is my favorite when I hunt. Although tomorrow I will be taking five premeasured charges and a loaded rifle is all....
Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a tapper...My flintlocks both have brass chargers that are not adjustable tied to a leather thong with the loading block...As long as you are consistant it doesn't matter...I'm also a tapper after I dump the charge in the barrel...
Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

doesn't matter as long as you do everything the same every time
RR
Yep, consistancy is the goal. It doesn't really matter if a 90 grain measure throws 88 or 92 grains, just so it comes close to the same chargeevery time.
Personally, I fill the measure from a flask trying to just fill it to the top so I don't waste much powder.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the info!!
I think ill try it both ways and check thegroups compared to each other

Old 11-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a tapper as well. I'll fill the measure, tap it twice then top it off. Swing the swivel and pour down the barrel. As nchawkeye said, I also do the barrel tap to level the load in the barrel prior to seating the projectile.

I wonder what the difference would be in a tapped load and an untaped load over the chrony?That sounds like a project after the deer season.Which one is more consistent (velocity wise) will be the main focus. Velocity consistency should relate directly to accuracy consistency. Test date is mid Dec....stay tuned folks.

When they do ballistic loads for books, I wonder what they do?????

Quick Reply: Powder Measure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.