Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Measure

Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Powder Measure

Most of the profesionals if we can call them that, will average the weight of a volume measure on a reloading scale then weigh the loads to that amount, this is supposed to reduce the variation in fps .
In actuality I dont believe it has a lot of effect, I am a reloader and have the equipment and tried weighing loads and did not get any tighter groups by doing it. I just hold my measure over a can I keep for the purpose and pour till it runs off on all sides, this was the method that showed theminimum differance when I was testing volume thrown loads[ 25 sample ] the tapping worked the worst for me, and the cut off type measure did not work quite as well as the overflow method. This I am sure will not be the same for every one as we each handle things different. Lee
Old 11-17-2007, 06:40 AM

When I load my pre loads for any of my ML rifles or C&B revolvers I will back it up with a scale mostly to get as consistent loads that I can.
My rifle measure "with swinging funnel" to the scale is the most consistent, I simply pour the powder into the measure till it over flows a bit then swing the funnel cutting the charge to the right level.
With my C&B revolver loads I can conistently keep a 34 grain "for hot loads" & 29 grain "for normal target" charge every time "as measured by the scale."
For my Zouave I can keep 59 grain pre loads at the ready using my method...

Tapping has allways made the most inconsistent loads for me, maybe I'm not that good at it but I've yet to get the same load twice by tapping.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Most of the profesionals if we can call them that, will average the weight of a volume measure on a reloading scale then weigh the loads to that amount, this is supposed to reduce the variation in fps .
In actuality I dont believe it has a lot of effect, I am a reloader and have the equipment and tried weighing loads and did not get any tighter groups by doing it."

i have had the same experience. Went back to over-filling the measure and then striking it level with my finger. When i am having a good day i can shoot1"-1.5" three shot groupsusing this method-one right after the other. That is better thanmany centerfire rifles will do. Good enough for me.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 AM

Wal-Mart here where i live ( CARLSBAD N.M. ) IS CLEARING OUT there BP stock
i bought some 777 ff im gona try this week hopefully today if i dont work late
also got some Hornady 240 and 300 grain xtps i wanted some t/c shock waves
but they were sold out, all the PB,s were sold out also

Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

To tap or not to tap... that is the question. I think Will Shakespeare once wrote that.

Actually some rifles you do not have to be all that fussy. Even 5 extra grains of powder will not be the end of the world in accuracy. Other rifles through, demand a certain charge to achieve their best accuracy and you have to be a little more careful with them. It seems the traditional rifles with patch and ball are not the fussy ones for some reason.

Although tomorrow I will be taking five premeasured charges and a loaded rifle is all....
I'm with Cayugad... I "tap" my measure a few times to settle the load and then top off the measure again and just "dust" what little excess there may be from the top. I always use the same measure and I always write down the load data for each gun...powder, grains, type of cap used , patch thickness, roundball or conical (with or without a bore button)and type of patch or bullet lubeused. I haven't weighed any of my charges yet, although I've considered doing so just to see how close I am, but I try to do everything the same...every time. Including how I seat the projectile albeit conical or ball and I ALWAYS carry pre-measured loads for the gun I'm using measured the same way I sighted in.....BPS
Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 AM

after trying both tapping and not tapping my Encore did"nt show
much of a differece in accuracy,,, so now i just pour it in and level it..