Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader kill in Iowa

Old 11-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader kill in Iowa

Any measurements on that buck yet?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Rifle looks like a Savage to me.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

Any measurements on that buck yet?
They figure around 200" net!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Photoshop , or realy bad fisheye lense , yes its a big buck but the photo's are a joke
Agreed, I mean that is a great buck but those pictures are ridiculous. If the scale of those photos were accurate then that deer would weigh 500 lbs and his main beams would be 4 feet long.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:57 PM

The guys arms are bent, So he cant possibly be squatting that far behind the deer. Maybe a little person?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishm@n

If that is a muzzleloader, I'll eat my shorts. That sucker has at least a 3x9 scope, a bolt action etc... but I guess that's how traditional archers feel about compound shooters eh?

Monster buck, probably high fence fed on high calcium diet.
Well, break out the ketchup, bubba, 'cause that is most definately a muzzleloader.[8D] It's a Savage 10ML-II (note the ramrod). I have a similar rifle, except mine has a laminate wood stock. Mine has a 3-9x40 scope on it too. Great rifle. You're not one of those traditionalist ML snobs, are you? They all load from the front...

And while that buck is certainly a bruiser, there is just something not quite right about those pictures. Gun looks too big, guy looks too small, and where are his legs? His camo ain't that good. Speaking of which, if he's hunting in Iowa, where's his blaze orange? Gotta have at least a blaze orange vest/jacket on when deer hunting with a firearm in Iowa. Hope the DNR wasn't lurking about. Maybe he took it off for the faked picture!

Still a buck the likes of which I'd love to run into in the woods while armed!

Mike
Old 11-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Spike

The guy in the pics doesn't seem to be under any stress at all holding upa trophy that size.
Does seem a little strange to me.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

Setting the camera up so close does give it a fisheye type effect but a wide angle lense will give the same effect and is probably what they used. I've seen severalpictures of a deerthat a friend of mine shot that had this type of effect. One of them looked about half the size of this deer but only had about 14" of spread, in the picture it looked wider than his shoulders, it was taken with a regular digital camera.
I agree 100 %
I could take my Nikon Coolpix zoom out and get close, tilt the camera down and take a photo that looks just like that . No photoshop needed . Any wide angle lens will make what ever is closer look way larger than things that are s just a few feet back . You see guys doing that with fish photos all the time.Even if you just look at the antler( 2nd photo ) in the back next to the hunter , it still a monster !!!!! Good for him !!