Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader kill in Iowa

Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader kill in Iowa

ORIGINAL: fishm@n
If that is a muzzleloader, I'll eat my shorts.
Hope you're hungry, looks like a Knight muzzleloader to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thepicture is a common shot called a trophy shot. The camera is set up close to the animal and the hunter is further back with his arms streched forward. This makes the animal look larger than it is compared to the hunter. If you look at the gun, it goes out of the picture because the camera is so close.That said, this is still a great buck with a lot of mass and points and would make most any hunter very happy. Congrats to who ever harvested it.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats looks like first cousin to an elk. Lee
Old 11-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

Thepicture is a common shot called a trophy shot. The camera is set up close to the animal and the hunter is further back with his arms streched forward. This makes the animal look larger than it is compared to the hunter. If you look at the gun, it goes out of the picture because the camera is so close.That said, this is still a great buck with a lot of mass and points and would make most any hunter very happy. Congrats to who ever harvested it.
Trophy shot or not, the camera was either equiped with a fish-eye style lense, or the picture was altered using fish-eye effects on any common PC picture program. Look again at the first pic. His elbows are bent. His arms aren't even fully extended and the brow tines are almost as wide as the hunters shoulders! This is only possible with effects, not camera placement. If I am wrong, then congrats to the hunter on the new world record whitetail!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Setting the camera up so close does give it a fisheye type effect but a wide angle lense will give the same effect and is probably what they used. I've seen severalpictures of a deerthat a friend of mine shot that had this type of effect. One of them looked about half the size of this deer but only had about 14" of spread, in the picture it looked wider than his shoulders, it was taken with a regular digital camera.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Setting the camera up so close does give it a fisheye type effect but a wide angle lense will give the same effect and is probably what they used. I've seen severalpictures of a deerthat a friend of mine shot that had this type of effect. One of them looked about half the size of this deer but only had about 14" of spread, in the picture it looked wider than his shoulders, it was taken with a regular digital camera.
True, but I have never been able to make a buck look like it had a rack 5 feet wide such as this one does. In any case, the buck is awesome and didn't need any help looking big.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL!!! can you say rompola buck???
Old 11-15-2007, 01:25 PM

wow thats the biggest I've ever seen!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that is a muzzleloader, I'll eat my shorts. That sucker has at least a 3x9 scope, a bolt action etc... but I guess that's how traditional archers feel about compound shooters eh?
I don't have one but it looks like a Savage to me. Somebody on here must have one, they can confirm it.

However, as I'm a photographer I can confirm that this is correct. Not a fisheye. Probably taken at around 10mm but the exif data has been erased so I can't see it to confirm.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that is a muzzleloader, I'll eat my shorts. That sucker has at least a 3x9 scope, a bolt action etc... but I guess that's how traditional archers feel about compound shooters eh?

Monster buck, probably high fence fed on high calcium diet.
That rifle is a Savage 10ML2, I have the identical rifle. You can see the MLer ram rod, also they posted it over on Doug's Savage Forum about a week ago. It is a monster. Buck of two lifetimes.
Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Muzzleloader kill in Iowa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.