Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

triumph vs omega

Old 11-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default triumph vs omega

I was just wondering which TC muzzleloader is better? i've been looking at them both and I don't know which one is better...thanks for the help
Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: triumph vs omega

Lots of Omega fans in this forum. Triump is new this year I believe. Suppose to be the "full black powder" version of the Encore. I would say its probably a good rifle too. I think it really would come down to whether you want a break action or not.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are equally good shooters I have both there are some differances the Triumph has a high comb which is ideal for using a scope the Omega has a low comb which is suited to iron sights. The Omega is a lot bigger job when it comes to cleaning because it suffers from blowback and you have to clean the action to. Cleaning the Triumph is a 3 or 4 min. job because all you need to clean is the barrel and the breach plug. Both guns give me minute of angle groups under ideal conditions. Are there any other questions I could help you with? Lee
Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe I read and ad that said the trumph corrected all the problems with the Omega.

Al
Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Both guns give me minute of angle groups under ideal conditions.
He needs to know that you are talking about sabots, not conicals. Neither gun is promoted to shoot conicals. If you ever want to hunt states like Colorado, that only allow conicals, better pick another gun.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

txhunter58, They may not be promoted too but I don't know why you could not shoot lead through them and have it work fine.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

txhunter58,I am not sure what the law is in colorado but if real bullets or PB's or the Sabortooth are legal then no problem, since I am not big on conicalsI dont keep many different kinds on hand to try. Lee
Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

According to the manual, my Omega Z5 is designed to shoot sabots or all lead conicals. It gives the loading instructions and ballistics for both.....

chris
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, do some searches under Omega and conicals or QLA and conicals. There have been many threads on this.

Bottom line is that guns with a QLA will not shoot conicals reliably. My Omega certainly won't. I even sent it back to the factory twice. The first time they said it shot fine, but only shot sabots, even though I told them I only shoot conicals. The second time, the only thing they could get it to shoot well was T/C maxiballs with 80 grains of real black powder. So theysent it back againsaying it was fine. Well, I didn't buy it to shoot real black, for those who do, fine, but I like the advantages of 777, etc.

My rifle will shoot powerbelts OK out to 100 yards, if you consider a 4-5 inch group OK.

Other conicals I have tried with pyrodex, 777, black mag 3 and APP. Used from 80 grains to 120 grains:

T/C maxiballs:2-3 inch group at 25 YARDS!
no excuses 460 grain: 5-8 inch groups at 25 yards
buffalo bullets: 2-3 inches at 25 yards
Great plains 410 gr: 3-5 inches at 25 yards.

Yes, that's right, 25 yards off of sandbags. Never got beyond that since I couldn't get better than that at that distance.

And what did the T/C rep tell me??? "Well, the Omega is REALLY a sabot gun"

They probaby still have conicals in the owners manual, but I bet you can't find anywhere on their website that the Omega is supposed to be able to shoot conicals well. It did when the Omega first came out, but they have taken it off.

So, if you are happy with shooting only powerbelts or possibly sabertooth bullets, you will probably be able to find a load, but if you want to move up to the other good concals, then you will be lucky to find a gun that will shoot them reliably.

Otherwise, I would buy a rifle with no QLA (false muzzle). That seems to be the culprit. Me, I used my T/C renegade this year in Colorado, and am thinking of trading my Omega in for a Knight kbr7 falling block.

However, if all you want to shoot is sabots, I can't recommend a gun better than the Omega. I love the gun and how it works, just not the accuracy. And you MIGHT get lucky and get one that shoots conicals well, but there are lots of them out there that don't.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Fork Horn

I like how you can completely remove the breech on the triumph for cleaning plus the break open for priming. I thought long and hard about either the omega or the triumph and decided on the omega. I just liked how the Omega has been around for a few years and got very good reviews. Since I have never owned or even fired an M/L since 2 days ago I settled for the proven technology over the latest. I am sure the Triumph is a great M/L.