Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Spike

Default 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

I've been shooting 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's out of my Omega with great results. I see where I can buy Hornadys XTP300 grain sabots for a few bucks cheaper. Are they the same ,with just differant packaging? Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM

Default RE: 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

Yes, they are Hornady bullets. If the bullet has one cannelure, it's an XTP mag. Two cannelures, a regular XTP. I would not use the XTP mag for deer hunting, you may not get proper expansion.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Doegirl I have nothing to base this thought on, and perhaps someone with field experience can comment...

If the XTP Mag holds together more, couldn't that be a benefit for hits to bone mass or pass through with a deer? I shoot both, and both are accurate in a number of my rifles. But I never would have guessed that the XTP would not be a great bullet as well as the standard XTP. But still I have no practical in the field, blasting a deer experience to back up my thoughts.

Anyone with practice experience in the field with either of them, sound off...
Old 11-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

This chart has been posted before. It indicates the300 grain XTP Mags should expand at impact velocities of1100 fps and above.The regular 300 grain XTP's at 850 fps.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave just a couple of thoughts... both XTP's are good but the XTP mag may not give you the performance that you want at short ranges with the velocity that most are shooting them at. They are to tough at least for whitetail -often at short rangesthey will pass through a thin skinned - thin bodied whitetail without much expansion. Great bullet beyond 100 when they slow down and a very good bullet on thick skinned animals. The regular XTP should be a better all-around performer on deer. IMO

Your estimation of the mag busting through bone mass is correctbut often not the realty of the shot.

Just thinking out loud

Sewerdude

Just remember the Hornady XTP's and sabot will come with a HPH-12 sabot rather than the slimmer HPH-24. The least expensive way to purchase would be to buy a reloaders box of XTP bullets and the sabots you want separartely...
Old 11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Use that Hornady chart with a little caution - it was not developed with a ML in mind it was developed for pistols.

An example look at the 10mm 200 grain XTP... Hornady says 700 to 1150 - I am shooting it a 2200fps and performs great... it even stays in the jacket while I can easily strip the copper of the 250's and 300's.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

If the XTP Mag holds together more, couldn't that be a benefit for hits to bone mass or pass through with a deer? I shoot both, and both are accurate in a number of my rifles. But I never would have guessed that the XTP would not be a great bullet as well as the standard XTP. But still I have no practical in the field, blasting a deer experience to back up my thoughts.

Anyone with practice experience in the field with either of them, sound off...
Dave your logic is the exact reasoning behind me using the Mag instead of the regular XTP. I want pass throughs and I want to be able to bust bone if I have to. Another advantage to them is the ability to "bust brush". Where I hunt it doesn't really matter how clear of a shot you think you may have, a twig always jumps out in front of you. I have hunted w/both and killed many deer w/both. They both preform great in my opinion. I just prefer the Mag because of it being a little "tougher"-that being said, I still get good expansion out of them as well.

I think it comes down to hunting styles. Some people want pass throughs and others care more about expansion. Neither one is "right" just a different hunting style.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Sabotloader, I guess I never throught of them in that manner. I was more concerned about a pass through hole. I have read posts of the XTP standard that hit, expand, and stay inside the body cavity. I just figured that the mag would hit, expand a little less then the standard, but hold together long enough to pass through.

Right now I am shooting the .430 300 grain XTP Hornady HP with 120 grains of Graf's & Sons 2f black powder out of my GMB Renegade. I figure it will hit hard, expand, and even if it does not pass through should release enough energy inside the body cavity to do what it needs to do. We will find out the end of this month...
Old 11-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok ya'll got me thinking (not good) I am firing .430 240 xtp under 85 grs of pyrodex p.

Could someone guess how I would do with them, I am not planning for shots over 75 yards
Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

ok ya'll got me thinking (not good) I am firing .430 240 xtp under 85 grs of pyrodex p.

Could someone guess how I would do with them, I am not planning for shots over 75 yards
I will guess you will have excellent results with that load. They should hit, expand and do lots of damage. I talk to people on forums that shoot 80 grains of Goex and that projectile at deer and all they ever get is dead deer. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.