Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

ORIGINAL: falcon

"I was out scouting this morning again. The snow really helps to put the sneak on them out there.

What in the world is snow?

"Saw two does and got to within 40-30 yards of the smaller one. But I decided no more doe shooting on my property. The deer are too few now. Can't shoot all the cows and expect the calf crop to be worth a darn.""

You have a very good point there.Something has happened to a lot of the deer here.This part of OK is over-run with hogs. Deer do not like to drink at ponds where the hogs wallow and i've seen hogs chase deer off the food plots. IMO the hogs kill a lot of fawns. This fall we have a bumper crop of acorns and the hog population will increase expotentially next year.

Get that buck.
falcon you might be the one to ask. Our Department of Natural Resources ( DNR ) put out an advisory that any hunters encountering hogs in the wild are encouraged to shoot them, remove them from the woods, and turn them over to the DNR. The DNR says they want to test them for disease and basically make sure that hogs do not get a foot hold in the country. What disease are they talking about? Just wondered. Do wild hogs carry soemthing we should know about. After all I read about people shooting them all the time and eating them.

If I have to ruin my hunt by shooting a hog, then dragging it out of the woods, and then hauling it to the DNR only for them to take the thing away.. well guess what? I am out there for deer...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I was out scouting this morning again. The snow really helps to put the sneak on them out there. Saw two does and got to within 40-30 yards of the smaller one. But I decided no more doe shooting on my property. The deer are too few now.Not that I am against shooting does. I just like seeing deer and as of late, and that has not been that good.
Dave I really like your train of thought... As i tell Terry if I shoot one now what will I do the rest of te hunting season? at that point she usually points to the "honey do" list which is not getting any shorter... We were out yesterday scounting a new hunting area or looking for that right buck which ever one comes first... but it was a lot fun just stalking around in the woods watching the does and yearlings doing really stupid things. I would raise the White up and put one up in the scope and go bang just to let me know that i could have if wanted to. But the day was great we gathered some very good information for an elk hunt coming up in December and a late season ML doe hunt at the end of November. It is just great to get out there nad will be greater when the rut starts here.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Spike

Wow, some great info on the question I asked about the TC mag bullets and the Hornady. So, if I have it right. The TC Mag XTP's are made by Hornady. But the TC Mag 300 gr XTP are differant that the 300 gr XTP that Hornady sells? The reason I was asking is that the Hornady XTP's are a little cheaper that the Tc Mags. So, since my Omega is already sighted in with the TC XTP"s . I was just going to buy the Hornady's for "extras". Guess i better just buy some more TC's and wait till next season and see how the "cheaper" Hornadys shoot. Hopefully I'l lbe testing them out on some Indiana Whitetails Nov 17!
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I just have to comment on this, as far as I am concerned the chart works well for pistols with the exception of a few like my contender and the othe similar high velocity single shots. As for applying it to muzzleloaders it just does not work. Some bullets for example the 10MM 200gr and the 300gr mag xtp and the 300gr Gold Dot do not act anything like what that chart says when you are shooting mag loads out of a muzzleloader. Past experance has cured me of using 300gr bullets on deer but they work quite well on thicker skined and larger game.
The only bullet that has worked well for me on all game is the 200gr 40 cal it is something special. Lee
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sewerdude

Let my try to summarize...

300 Grain TC Mag Express (refers to the sabot)
300 Grain Hornady XTP w Sabots

These are the same bullet in different MMP Sabots.... the TC Mag -title- refers to the Mag Express Sabot which is a MMP HPH-24... the Hornady will come with a MMP HPH-12 sabot which is thicker.

This is a Hornady .452/300 grain XTP Mag

[/align]
This is a Hornady .452/300 grain XTP

[/align]
This is a Hornady .430/300 grain XTP - notice the difference in the distance between rings on the 44

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue...
[/align][/align]
Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

"What disease are they talking about? Just wondered. Do wild hogs carry soemthing we should know about. After all I read about people shooting them all the time and eating them."

They can carry pseudorabies, erysipelas (something like arthritis), Bang's disease, hog cholera and a host ofother diseases.Never heard of anyone catching anything from eating or handling wild hogs.I do wear good rubber gloves when dressing them.Do nothandle the reproductive organs or pig embryos.

There is a guy north of the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge who used to trap hogs, pen them up and fatten them for market. He had hundreds of wild hogs penned up. The OK Agriculture folks came in and found themdiseased and told him to destroy them. Theguy just quit feeding them and many starved to death. Some of the neighborslet the survivors out.

Wild hogs in large numbers would make any outbreak of hoof and mouth disease in livestock very hard to control.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Our Department of Natural Resources ( DNR ) put out an advisory that any hunters encountering hogs in the wild are encouraged to shoot them, remove them from the woods, and turn them over to the DNR. The DNR says they want to test them for disease and basically make sure that hogs do not get a foot hold in the country. What disease are they talking about? Just wondered. Do wild hogs carry soemthing we should know about. After all I read about people shooting them all the time and eating them.

If I have to ruin my hunt by shooting a hog, then dragging it out of the woods, and then hauling it to the DNR only for them to take the thing away.. well guess what? I am out there for deer...
Dave, sounds very much like a scare tactic,,,,like they aretrying to ensure they capture the data they are looking for. What better way than to mention "disease"? I would guess that the chance of disease would be much higher in areas with high numbers of hogs. As was said, people in these areas eat them all the time. If I were you and I saw one while you were out deer hunting, I'd be eating a little fresh pork.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

A 50/50 mix of deer meat and wild hog meat makes GREAT sausage.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Well they are not in my area yet. They are south of me in Clark County. From the rumor mill, some city people owned land, bought hogs, and turned them loose to take care of them selves. Now the DNR is getting hog damage reports, etc. So they want them shot off. But they want the hog as well. I would think if a person went through all that work the least they could do is give the hunter back the hog after they do their testing, etc.

Falcon.. thanks for the tips on the hog disease. I used to work on a hog farm in my younger days, and hauled them miserable things (among other uncooperative animals) in trucks all over the State. They can sure be a handful. I knew the owner of the farm was always careful about where you had been, cleaning your boots, etc.. before walking in the yards, etc. I remember he went almost wild when a feed salesman who was traveling farm to farm to sell protein and supplements,justwalked into the farrowing house uninvited. Like he later explained .. no telling what that guys boots are hauling around on them...

I guess now that you explained it.. no reason why wild hogs should not get the same diseases. thanks!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

"A 50/50 mix of deer meat and wild hog meat makes GREAT sausage."

Indeed it does.

Quick Reply: 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.