Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

Ok you guys make me crazy sometimes . 45-70-500 . Of course somebody had to point that out to me also . Shoot a deer at 150 yrds with a 1200 fps pistol bullet that leaves the muzzle at 1800 fps and if your within 4 inches of where your supossed to be you've got meat on the table .
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Right now I am shooting the .430 300 grain XTP Hornady HP with 120 grains of Graf's & Sons 2f black powder out of my GMB Renegade. I figure it will hit hard, expand, and even if it does not pass through should release enough energy inside the body cavity to do what it needs to do.
I think you will like the 44/300 XTP - while it is a regular XTP itis built to function across a wider range of velocities...+ of couse it has a higher BC. I would almost bet you anything that you will get your pass throughs at any resonable range, but with good expansion. The only thing I worry about is stripping the lead from the copper on thicker skinned animals or an angle shot through heavy bone mass. The only thing that hold the lead in the copper is the ring so if you get expansion beyond that point you stand a CHANCE of stripping the lead out. Another reason (in my little mind) that I have a switch to Bonded Gold Dots...

Just for the record - I am a total pass through person - I kinda demand the pass through with massive hyrostatic shock interanally - hence my over zealot (sp?) thought that I need to shoot Noslers....(never have gotten into barnes all copper bullets although they do the same thing). Hopefully I will be able to show you what I am talking about this season before it is over... I am trying to carry a camera with me all the time instead of leaving it in the truck and picking it up after the thought.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

corey012778

I am firing .430 240 xtp under 85 grs of pyrodex p.

Could someone guess how I would do with them, I am not planning for shots over 75 yards
At that distance and with that charge they will do just fine... It is estimated by most that the Hornady 44/240 has killed more deer than any other bullet out there...

But - I would bet you those 250 Gold Dots (& 100 grains of powder)I am sending you would do the job better more often... could not resist -- the devil made me say that... dang!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

I know of three animals that we have taken with .45 cal 300 grain Xtps mags , all three were complete pass through. One was a elk shot in the base of the neck at 110 yards using 95 grains of ffg loose , one was a deer also a neck shot at 80 yards using 100 grains of ffg loose , and last Thursday a friend shot his elk at 142 yards using 90 grains of ffg loose . The 142 yard shot on the elk did not hit any bone and the entrance and exit holes were almost the same size , very little blood trail , but the elk droppedwith in 50 yards. The two other animals , the bullets hit the spine and the exit holes were three times the size of the entrance . I buy my bullets and sabots now in bulk and save a little $$. I have been very impressed with the accuracy and performance that we have experienced so far with the XTP bullets.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

corey012778

I am firing .430 240 xtp under 85 grs of pyrodex p.

Could someone guess how I would do with them, I am not planning for shots over 75 yards
At that distance and with that charge they will do just fine... It is estimated by most that the Hornady 44/240 has killed more deer than any other bullet out there...

But - I would bet you those 250 Gold Dots (& 100 grains of powder)I am sending you would do the job better more often... could not resist -- the devil made me say that... dang!
damn it man, I thought we where going to keep that quite

I still gotta get that package out to ya. mail it friday, if I remember.[&:]
Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: UtahRob

I know of three animals that we have taken with .45 cal 300 grain Xtps mags , all three were complete pass through. One was a elk shot in the base of the neck at 110 yards using 95 grains of ffg loose , one was a deer also a neck shot at 80 yards using 100 grains of ffg loose , and last Thursday a friend shot his elk at 142 yards using 90 grains of ffg loose . The 142 yard shot on the elk did not hit any bone and the entrance and exit holes were almost the same size , very little blood trail , but the elk dropped with in 50 yards. The two other animals , the bullets hit the spine and the exit holes were three times the size of the entrance . I buy my bullets and sabots now in bulk and save a little $$. I have been very impressed with the accuracy and performance that we have experienced so far with the XTP bullets.
I know of 6 deer. All bang-flops.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are two .451 XTP bullets: One is the so called XTP Mag. bullet. I am looking at a package that TC sells as 300 grain Magnum ExpressXTP. That package does not contain Magnum bullets.

How to tell the bullets apart: The XTP Magnum .451 bullet has the jacket folded into the hollow point: The XTP does not. As Doegirl stated, one 300 grain bullet has two cannelures: That one is the .430 caliber 300 grain.

Added later: Brain malfunction. Both the .44 and 45 caliber XTP bullets have two cannelures.

IMHO-The differences in success with the Hornady bullets can often be attributed to the fact that the user is not sure which bullet he/she is using. Plus there is the problem of truth in packaging-marketing hype.

i have had fantastic success on hogs and deer with the240 grain .430 bullet.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I will worry about seeing them first, then the shooting part comes next. I am sure the .430 grain XTP or the Nosler Partitian I was shooting will do the job.

I was out scouting this morning again. The snow really helps to put the sneak on them out there. Saw two does and got to within 40-30 yards of the smaller one. But I decided no more doe shooting on my property. The deer are too few now. Can't shoot all the cows and expect the calf crop to be worth a darn. Not that I am against shooting does. I just like seeing deer and as of late, and that has not been that good. Besides, if I shoot one, then I have to butcher it, package it, etc. I will hold out for a buck or nothing at all from now on.

Good luck to all of you still waiting to hunt.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I was out scouting this morning again. The snow really helps to put the sneak on them out there.

What in the world is snow?

"Saw two does and got to within 40-30 yards of the smaller one. But I decided no more doe shooting on my property. The deer are too few now. Can't shoot all the cows and expect the calf crop to be worth a darn.""

You have a very good point there.Something has happened to a lot of the deer here.This part of OK is over-run with hogs. Deer do not like to drink at ponds where the hogs wallow and i've seen hogs chase deer off the food plots. IMO the hogs kill a lot of fawns. This fall we have a bumper crop of acorns and the hog population will increase expotentially next year.

Get that buck.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

corey012778

Well, I didn't tell them the whole story - just part of it... sort like reporters looking for sensationalism - you only git part of the story...

Quick Reply: 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's same as Hornadys?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.