Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Omega - Load Combinations????

Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Spike

Default TC Omega - Load Combinations????

Hello

I am brand new to muzzleloading. I recently purchased a Thompson Center Omega and thought I would ask those who have the same muzzy what powder/bullet combinations work best for them. I am thinking about using my new Omega for the opening firearm season so I don't have a lot of time to experiment. As bad as I want a scope I don't think I will be ableget it in time for the first season. I have shot it using 2-pellets of Triple Seven and the Shockwave sabots that came with the gun. I believe they were were 250 or 300 grain. I also tried 2-pellets of Triple Seven with Powerbelt Aerotip 245 grain bullets. Although I have tried these combinations I haven't shot it enough to say one is better than the other. I am going to get out this weekend and shoot again. Do you feel that a heavier grain bullet is better? Say a 295 Grain Powerbelt Aerotip? If you could enlighten me on what has worked best for your Omega I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: TC Omega - Load Combinations????

Welcome to the forum it is good to have you here..

What will work in your Omega is hard to say. I have a Black Diamond XR. Same barrel, but different action. With loose powder I shoot 110 grains of Pyrodex RS or Goex and a 250 grain Shockwave with excellent accuracy. With pellets, I actually got good accuracy with three pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave. It also does well with just two pellets.

I would stick with the 2 pellet so of Triple Se7en and a 200, 250, or 300 grain Shockwave. You could also try some 240 & 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's. They should shoot well. Nosler, Speer, Barnes, Parker, are also good choices. As for powerbelts, while your rifle will shoot them, I would stick with a sabot load.

Good luck with your rifle. Keep us posted on how it does for you.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

[align=left] Well I tried to post my records for my Omega but even though they looked good on the preview it made a hash of them.[/align][align=left]The most accurate load in mine is the 50/40 200gr shock wave with 150 gr RS[ 3 pellets] its also very flat shooting for a muzzleloader,[/align][align=left]the other shock waves shoot very well with 110 or 120 gr RSthe 250 XTP and the 230 also shoot well,as do the Gold Dot 250 and 300 all with 110 or 120 gr RS. Some Omegas like 777 but mine is not one of them, but it does shoot APP as long as I do not get a bad can of powder.[/align]
Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I use two 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets and 300 grain T/C Shockwaves with Kleanbore primers. I just posted a target from a range session from last week. It is on page 2 of this forum. It shows you what the load is capable of doing.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM

I have the Omega X7.
I have had great results using 100gr T7 and 250gr Shockwave
Old 11-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Spike

I've had great results useing 2 pryodex pellets and 300 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's out of my Omega
Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 AM

I am with NH/PETE, i am also using 100 grains of loose 777, and 250 TC Shockwave. I am grouping within 3" at 100 yards, not perfect but whitetail accurate
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had excellent results out of my Omega with the following bullet/sabots and 100 grains of loose 777:

240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's
260 grain Precison Rifle Dead Center's
250 grain Shockwave's
Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Absolute Giant

Hello

I am brand new to muzzleloading. I recently purchased a Thompson Center Omega and thought I would ask those who have the same muzzy what powder/bullet combinations work best for them. I am thinking about using my new Omega for the opening firearm season so I don't have a lot of time to experiment. As bad as I want a scope I don't think I will be ableget it in time for the first season. I have shot it using 2-pellets of Triple Seven and the Shockwave sabots that came with the gun. I believe they were were 250 or 300 grain. I also tried 2-pellets of Triple Seven with Powerbelt Aerotip 245 grain bullets. Although I have tried these combinations I haven't shot it enough to say one is better than the other. I am going to get out this weekend and shoot again. Do you feel that a heavier grain bullet is better? Say a 295 Grain Powerbelt Aerotip? If you could enlighten me on what has worked best for your Omega I would appreciate it.

Thanks
100g of loose 777 works good, as does 777 pellets if your just getting started. Nosler Partition 300g and Crushed rib sabot, another cheaper alternative is Speer Gold Dot. Chap Gleason
Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pattyboy

I am with NH/PETE, i am also using 100 grains of loose 777, and 250 TC Shockwave. I am grouping within 3" at 100 yards, not perfect but whitetail accurate
I am using the 777 pellets (2-50's) and the SG 250gr. Shockwaves also. Getting 1" and under groups. With a scope... Mine really likes the SW's...The PowerBelts shot okay, but from what I've read I'm not sure I trust them.(breaking up)Also what was posted on here, the Omegas barrel is not rifled all the way to the end of the barrel. It is designed to shoot sabots. Although they will also shoot all lead conicals.... I think the SW's are awesome. TheSuper Glidesare a little expensive, but worth it for me if I'm getting that kind of grouping AND easy loading.

chris

Quick Reply: TC Omega - Load Combinations????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.