Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Semisane's LOL Aperture Sight

Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Semisane's LOL Aperture Signt

Or I can screw in any one of the three size apertures, depending on conditions. The 1/8" one makes a darn good target sight. The 1/4" one is in place in this picture.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, I know it's a LOL sight , but last Sunday morning I put six shots into a three-inch bull at 50 yards from a bench. I still need to modify the front sight and raise it to 1/2" for dead on at 50 yards, or about 5/8" to be dead on at 75 yards. I think I'm going to do something that lets me change the hight of the front site so I can adjust POI.

Go ahead, laugh. I'm ready to hunt!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

[:-] Ok, I really see only one problem, well two then... The amount of mass you have up top there is going to put a pretty good torque on that single screw if the new sight gets bumped - stripped barrel threads seem areal possibilty. I guess that was your thought with the o-ring?And you need to blue or alumi-black those sparkling jewels.

You had me on the edge of my seat...

With all that metal shaping, I would have to ask why you didn't build something utilizing that dovetail?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey UC, glad you got a chuckle.

The blueing job is just awaiting purchase of a bottle of Birchwood-Casey cold blue (I know I have some around here somewhere, but can't find it. Maybe I loaned it to my brother-in-law?)

That 4mm screw is pretty beefy - a lot heavier than standard scope base screws. Time will tell. Might be thinning them round bolt heads to reduce mass a little, but I kinda got used to them already.

I thought about using the dovetail but the stud approach seemed practical and easier. I can make new "ghost rings" with the drilled and tapped holes slightly off center to adjust windage if needed, or just different styles and thicknesses if I want. Screw off one and screw on another.

That dovetail is not quite what it seems. The picture doesn't show it well, but it's very shallow andonly the rear of it is undercut. The front is flat. The original sight wedged in under the undercut side then was screwed down. I would have to do a little file work on the barrel to make a true dovetail,and decided to keep it "as is" so the original sight could be restored if so desired.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your site looks about as good as the $80 ones I was pricing, look better when you blue them
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 AM

I can appreciate the bifocal part and the sight is definitely a nice piece of work.
Rock Lock
Old 11-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let them laugh I say. Nothing today is built like it was in the past. If it didn't get built then no one could refine the original Idea.
I like it and know you will do a fine job refining it even more as time goes.

Al
Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

That looks so nice, I am going to duct tape (silver of course)a roll of dimes on one of mine so they look alike.. just kidding of course.

The main thing is, if it works. Which from your range report that sounds apparent that it does. So I see no problem with the sight. My friend welded a silver dime as his front site and then shaped it to fit with a dremel tool and a file. I have peep sights and while they shoot real well for me, they are not practical in the shadows where I hunt in the afternoons. On the range though, on a sunny day, it is hard to beat them. Good luck with your project. I'd really like to shoot that rifle some day.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

It's bulky looking but it will probably work. I was thinking of maybe taking an adjustable Rem 870 rear sight and replacing the blade rear notch with a threaded peep to fit the Lyman peepsights currently available?Then you can easily adjust for both windage and elevation? Necessity is the mother of invention! See if the deer are laughing this fall..................Harold
Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seriously, (yeah sure, he says), no really... I think that was some creative thinking and the sight will obiously work. You might need to drill another hole or two to get windage and elevation right.

Quick Reply: Semisane's LOL Aperture Sight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.