Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Powerbelts! Kind of..

Old 11-03-2007, 06:13 PM

Default New Powerbelts! Kind of..

I got out today and made a small fire and let it burn down a bit and threw on a cup filled with powerbelts i had recovered. Most of them were 225 grain and only 7 348 grain all lead powerbelts, so i melted them down and made a batch of .490 roundballs with my double cavity Lee mold. Im only able to use one cavity as the second one has a piece missing and leaves a large Sprue at the end of the ball and i hate that. Time for a Lyman mold the next go around.
These balls came out perfect and very soft. After i made the powerbelt roundballs i went and threw in a bunch on great plains and maxihunters ive recovered over the years of shooting and melted everything down into a block. It turned into a 3lb block of soft lead. This batch i made today will keep the Kentucky in action for a bit. Running low on powder Again so another trip will be needed.
Surprisingly, the roundballs that i mold out of the powerbelts Mushroom nicely when im shooting at a log. I really like making these things. Next time i'll remember my Skimmer and keep all that crud out of the lead.