Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Savage Muzzleloader

Old 11-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Savage Muzzleloader

Does anyone have any load suggestions for Savage 10ML, mybuddy has one and is ready to chunk it, he can't get a decent group
Old 11-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage Muzzleloader

What powder is he using? Bullet? Sabot? Primer?

I'd recommend he try Accurate Arms 5744. 41-45 grains workup to find best accuracy). Also, make sure he's only shooting 45cal bullets. .451 is good, .452 cal is better. And make sure he's shooting MMP sabots. I've always used the standard MMP black sabot. MMP also makes two other varieties of sabot, the HPH-12 and HPH-24. These have different assembled outside diameters which make them tighter or looser fitting depending on the bullet used. I just use the standard black ones. Also remember, tight is good. He wants the tightest fitting bullet/sabot combo he can get without excessive loading force being required to ram the bullet home. I've also come to really like the Winchester Triple 7 primers with the 5744. They are a different formulation that produces excellent results with 5744 (I personally have not tried them with any other powder yet), and do not seem to create as much carbon buildup in the breachplug (believe it or not, the primer actually creates more fouling than the powder charge). I've heard that they are not as powerful at standard 209 primers, so they may not work well with the harder to ignite single-base powders (like N-110).

My personal favorite load is a 250gr XTP, MMP black sabot, on 41gr of 5744 touched off by a Win T7 209 primer. Modest recoil, consistant 1.5" groups at 100 yards, all year round. I've also used 44gr of 5744 with similar accuracy, but a little stiffer shooting. I worked up this load for my wife to shoot, but then found that I like it a lot too.

A couple other things to check are to make sure the action screws are correctly torqued and the scope is securely mounted. If he's fired several dozen rounds through it he might also want to take out the breachplug and clean out the flame channel. Some primers will clog up the flame channel and cause ignition problems (remember, smokeless is MUCH harder to light off than BP). Also check to make sure the vent liner is clear and not showing signs of erosion. The standard vent liner is designed to last about 100-200 shots depending on the loads used, once it starts to erode accuracy will degrade. As a side note, Randy Wakeman sells improved vent liners made from harder steel that last much longer. If he has one of the three hole vent liners, tell him to try a one hole liner. My gun shoots much better with the one hole(original) version.

Also, make sure he secures the breachplug TIGHT. Have him use a little anti-sieze grease (use sparingly) and then torque it down snug. Many inline shooters are used to just screwing the breachplug in finger tight to prevent siezing, especially with T7, but the Savage won't shoot worth a crap if the plug is loose. As long as he uses a little bit of anti-sieze grease and only shoots smokeless, he will have no problems removing the breachplug later.

But have him definately try the AA 5744. It's the best powder I've tried for the Savage because the high nitro content makes it easy to light off and it gives the best consistancy. It's also very temp insensitive so the load he'd work up in the late summer will still light and shoot well in the dead of winter.

Otherwise, if he really wants to get rid of it, let me know and I'll gladly offer it a loving home! My 10ML-II would love a little brother!

Mike

Old 11-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage Muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: driftrider

What powder is he using? Bullet? Sabot? Primer?

I'd recommend he try Accurate Arms 5744. 41-45 grains workup to find best accuracy). Also, make sure he's only shooting 45cal bullets. .451 is good, .452 cal is better. And make sure he's shooting MMP sabots. I've always used the standard MMP black sabot. MMP also makes two other varieties of sabot, the HPH-12 and HPH-24. These have different assembled outside diameters which make them tighter or looser fitting depending on the bullet used. I just use the standard black ones. Also remember, tight is good. He wants the tightest fitting bullet/sabot combo he can get without excessive loading force being required to ram the bullet home. I've also come to really like the Winchester Triple 7 primers with the 5744. They are a different formulation that produces excellent results with 5744 (I personally have not tried them with any other powder yet), and do not seem to create as much carbon buildup in the breachplug (believe it or not, the primer actually creates more fouling than the powder charge). I've heard that they are not as powerful at standard 209 primers, so they may not work well with the harder to ignite single-base powders (like N-110).

My personal favorite load is a 250gr XTP, MMP black sabot, on 41gr of 5744 touched off by a Win T7 209 primer. Modest recoil, consistant 1.5" groups at 100 yards, all year round. I've also used 44gr of 5744 with similar accuracy, but a little stiffer shooting. I worked up this load for my wife to shoot, but then found that I like it a lot too.

A couple other things to check are to make sure the action screws are correctly torqued and the scope is securely mounted. If he's fired several dozen rounds through it he might also want to take out the breachplug and clean out the flame channel. Some primers will clog up the flame channel and cause ignition problems (remember, smokeless is MUCH harder to light off than BP). Also check to make sure the vent liner is clear and not showing signs of erosion. The standard vent liner is designed to last about 100-200 shots depending on the loads used, once it starts to erode accuracy will degrade. As a side note, Randy Wakeman sells improved vent liners made from harder steel that last much longer. If he has one of the three hole vent liners, tell him to try a one hole liner. My gun shoots much better with the one hole(original) version.

Also, make sure he secures the breachplug TIGHT. Have him use a little anti-sieze grease (use sparingly) and then torque it down snug. Many inline shooters are used to just screwing the breachplug in finger tight to prevent siezing, especially with T7, but the Savage won't shoot worth a crap if the plug is loose. As long as he uses a little bit of anti-sieze grease and only shoots smokeless, he will have no problems removing the breachplug later.

But have him definately try the AA 5744. It's the best powder I've tried for the Savage because the high nitro content makes it easy to light off and it gives the best consistancy. It's also very temp insensitive so the load he'd work up in the late summer will still light and shoot well in the dead of winter.

Otherwise, if he really wants to get rid of it, let me know and I'll gladly offer it a loving home! My 10ML-II would love a little brother!

Mike
44g of AA shoots a Parker Ballistic Extreme very well for me. May have to go with a tighter sabot. Chap Gleason