Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

12 Gauge w/slugs vs. muzzleloader?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:22 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 12 Gauge w/slugs vs. muzzleloader?

Since you are borrowing this, I assume you won't have time to become fimiluar with the 45 ML, I say go with the 12gu. Much easier to get to know.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM

I say the shotgun only because there is a bit more of a learning curve with a sidelock muzzleloader. If the shotgun is a smoothbore, get few different brands of Foster style slugs and see what groups best. There is no need for the much more expensive saboted ammo in a smoothbore shotgun.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 PM

why settle for an inaccurate shotgun when you can buy a muzzleloader and work up a tack driver that can shoot out to 200 yards?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

frontier gander,it sounds like he is talking about an old slow twist side lock if that is so it might not shoot anything but PRB well, that makes 75 yds about the fartherest it would have an exceptable amout of enegry and 100 about as far as you could expect decant accuracy,I have severaland they are fine for target and squrril and I have taken some deer with them but was unhappy about how far I had to track them and ended up building a 54 cal Hawkens with a 35.5 inch barrel now thats a real deer gun. Lee
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Thats a tough one. Neither is goin to be very good past 50 yds for deer. I'm assuming that the shot gun is not rifled. I've hunted with both here in indiana. I'll tell you what I would do though. First I'd take the guns to range to figure out how they shot. I used to load 60 gr. of Pyrodex RS and a .45 cal round ball into mine .45 cal kentucky rifle. I would readabout what the manufacturers recommendation on powder load. Start there. For the shot gun, I would go to your local walmart and or gander mountain or sporting goods storeand pick up acouple boxes of rifle slugs made by different manufacturers. Then I at the range I would just experiment with different loads of powder with the round ball. See where ya are on the paper. make sure that you can make a consistent kill shot (with in a 4" circle) at 25,50, and 75 yards. The upside to the muzzleloader is 1. it won't kick nearly as hard & 2. it may give you better groups. The upside to the 12 gauge is 1. its easy. You just load, point, and shoot. you don't have to worry about getting it wet 2. you may have alittle more knock down power.
Personally,if I have time to prepare then Iwould go for the .45 but it doesn't sound like thats the case for you so I would probably go with the 12 gauge. Here's afew more tips for ya.

1.Get to know each firearm. Know how they shoot is wet weather and cold weather.

2. Know what kind of groups you can make at what ranges. Mark off different ranges in your area to associate how far you are shooting.

3. Try not to take any shots over 50 yds if at all possible. You didn't tell us whatthe area you're hunting is like so I really don't know how possible that is. Remember that a close deer is more likely to be a dead deer

4. Figure out what type of hunting your going to do. If I'm stalking I'll use arifle or shot gun because I woulduse more than one shot. If I'm stand hunting I'd prolly use the ml just because it might be better for shooting close groups.

5. Lastly, Remember to choose your shots. More so with theML than the shotgun. Shot placement is the key to killing big deer.

Like I said. Thatsa tough one but if you try each out and go to the range for afew hours you aught to be able to figure out which you want touse. You may also what to tell us alittle moreabout the guns and where andwhat type of hunting you'll be doing.