Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

loose powder

Old 11-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default loose powder

Hi,

I just went and picked up a tc powder measure tonight seems really cool.anyone have one of these?Now I havent shot loose powder ever! always has been pellet's. I have the hodgdon pyrodex RS will this stuff shoot pretty good out of my optimas?or should I go with the pellets?. My brother gave me this powder today so I figured a whole can of RS powder for free, why not use it? Now how do you go about hunting with it? I mean like the pellets I use speed loaders for the pellets is there something I should use to make pre measure 100 grain charges with the loose,while I am hunting? are there any advantages of using the loose? if so what? and the RS will that should shoot good out of my gun also? I am gonna grab some pellets too and take along and try both out but if all goes well I think I will go with the loose powder seems like you get way way more of it I dunno I could be wrong. One last thing though on the back of the bottle is it says its smokeless does that sound right? I just wanna be safe dont wanna get blown up or nothing well thanks and sorry for so many posts on here ppl are probably getting sick of seeing my posts........Shaun
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: loose powder

I have the hodgdon pyrodex RS will this stuff shoot pretty good out of my optimas?or should I go with the pellets?.
Pyrodex RS will shoot fine. If you normally load two pellets, then load 100 grains of the Pyrodex RS.

Now how do you go about hunting with it? I mean like the pellets I use speed loaders for the pellets is there something I should use to make pre measure 100 grain charges
Well you can use speed loaders with loose powder as well. Measure out 100 grains of the loose powder and pour that into your tube speed load. Then just pop the top on the speed loader in the field and pour that down the barrel. From another container, I keep my sabots and bullets and load that way.

are there any advantages of using the loose? if so what? and the RS will that should shoot good out of my gun also?
Cost of the powder is the biggest advantage. Plus for those that like to tinker with powder charges, its much easier to do with the loose then the pellets. And yes, it should shoot just fine out of your rifle. You might even notice better accuracy if you play with the load volume a little and tweak it.

One last thing though on the back of the bottle is it says its smokeless does that sound right? I just wanna be safe dont wanna get blown up or nothing well thanks and sorry for so many posts on here ppl are probably getting sick of seeing my posts........
If it is Pyrodex RS it is perfectly safe to use in your muzzleloader. Just do not exceed 120 grains of the loose powder in your rifle. Some rifles even suggest 100 grains as a max load of loose powder, so check your manual.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Spike

Hi,

Thanks alot Cayugad I appreciate the help theres some great people on this board and your deffinately one of them.........Shaun
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Typical Buck

What's interesting about Pyrodex is that the pellets are actually a little more powerful than the loose powder, while 777 is the opposite (the pellets are a little weaker than the loose powder).
This shows that Pyodex likes to be more denselycompacted, and as long as it's done consistently the velocity won't deviate as much.
Pyrodex P is said to burn even cleaner than the RS.
But power isn't everything since sometimes the most accurate loads are not necessarilythe highest velocity loads.