Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breaking in Barrel

Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Breaking in Barrel

I have an Omega with Stainless barrel should I shoot some of my lead bullets from my Hawken to slick barrel up or go ahead and sight in with sabots. Also how many shots should I fire before I get serious about fine tuning my load. I'm a bit of a stickler and like 1/2" or one whole groups with my rifles and was wondering what you feel is realistic with ML out to a hundred yards
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Breaking in Barrel

Depends on the barrel each is alittle diferent . My ss Omega toke about 40 rounds before it settled in . It will if I take the time give one ragged hole it 100 yards .
Charlie

Old 11-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Typical Buck

My stainless Omega barrel insidelooked like a mirror when I got it. It was a bear to load any sabots and when I started checking I found the barrel to be slightly smaller than any of the other .50 ML that I had and after I ran 200 passes with JB bore paste on a patch over a brass brush the rifle settled down and was easier to load. I find the muzzleloaders to be very wind sensitiveand ona very calm day I have shot a couple of clover leaf targets at 100 yards but never a single hole.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the info, what loads are you guys shooting
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

250gr. Shockwave and 110gr 777 FFg . Also have put about 250 rounds through the barrel .
Charlie
Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

JB bore paste I been using this stuff from the early 70's I myself always run a few patches after every 100 rounds fired :you be surprised what comes out of a barrel you think was clean.
I would think a new barrel and a few passes on a patch will take any sharp edges of tool marks inside the barrel: won't hurt it
Chaz: excellent group
Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigpappa

I have an Omega with Stainless barrel should I shoot some of my lead bullets from my Hawken to slick barrel up or go ahead and sight in with sabots. Also how many shots should I fire before I get serious about fine tuning my load. I'm a bit of a stickler and like 1/2" or one whole groups with my rifles and was wondering what you feel is realistic with ML out to a hundred yards
bigpappa - Some of these muzzleloaders, when you finally find the right load, will shoot some incredible groups. What I tell my friends when they get into this sport is, they are not equal toyour good center fire rifle. But, they can clover leaf, one hole, or shoot groups that rival many rifles.. then next time on the range they can then make you wonder what happened to your gun when it shoots a group you do not even recognize.

When you start with a muzzleloader remember, any mistakes on the range or in the field are normally user related. You did not swab right, or you loaded different, or it could be anumber of little things. Still, do your part, loaded the same each time, and your rifle will not let you down.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 PM

So, are the claims made by some of the manufacturers of the newer types of MLs accurate? Can I really expect reliable shots at 300+ yards? Of course, once I get the load worked out that is. I am still working out the loads and bullets.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting 250gr Shockwaves using 2 50gr 777 pellets. The new Omega is shooting 1/2" - 1" groups at 100yrds right out of the box! I hope my POI doesn't change. I did shoot a few XTP's that had to be started with a block of wood and hammer. (sabots too thick) I think after shooting a handful of those, then finished sighting with a few SW's took out any burrs from my barrel!! lol

chris